Hardened gun case.

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Jim Hancock, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Active Member

All,

Looking for a hard case that I can fly with my O/U. The Americase and Negrini look amazing but expensive. Does anyone have experience with using V700 Pelican vault and cutting out to fit your gun?

Thanks!

2. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

SKB makes some very nice hard plastic cases, some fitted. I bought one some years ago that fits my Browning 525 Sporting, perfectly. At the time, it was about $100. Hopefully they still have a website. Good luck.

Jim Hancock likes this.
  3. Warren

Warren Long Range Shootist

Storm IM-3100 fits my Citori very nicely. Super stout case. I have carried target rifles around the world in mine and never a problem despite the multiple gouges and scratches on it.

Jim Hancock likes this.
  4. RPAD

RPAD Well-Known Member

You have to look at it as what is your gun worth and how much do you want to protect it, saving on a case could cost you a lot more than what you saved.

Jim Hancock likes this.
  5. Warren

IM-3100.jpg

Jim Hancock likes this.
  6. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Active Member

Looks great.....how long have you had it? Did you cut out yourself?

7. Sgoose

Sgoose Mega Poster Founding Member

So you have 10,000 dollar shotgun and you only want to spend 100 dollars to keep it from getting damaged when you fly. It is like going to Africa and taking a 10 dollar box of ammo. Think about what you have invested. Do not be penny wise and dollar foolish. The airline have damaged more guns then you can count. This is my opinion.
    Sgoose

Jim Hancock likes this.
  8. Warren

I bought it in 2008 in preparation for the 2009 F Class World Championships in Bisely, England. Had My target rifle, spotting scope and bipod in it and intentionally dropped it from 6 feet up to make sure it would survive the baggage goons en route. I will see if I can find the pic of the rifle in the case for you if you like.

9. Warren

DSCF1793.JPG DSCF1794.JPG 2011-05-21_21-08-35_867.jpg

The lower picture is of another rifle I took to Ireland for the 2011 Creedmoor Cup at the Midlands National Shooting Centre.

Not a single problem either trip. The IM-3100 will float 150# and is absolutely waterproof and tough as nails. I wouldn't put a $5000 target rifle in a hundred dollar case. :)

10. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

You can do that with a a Pelican

11. Warren

Same company now but they have kept the 2 lines distinct. The Storm has padded handles while Pelican doesn't and the Storm's locks are easier for me to operate.

12. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

The IM-3100 displaces 1.77 cu. ft.. Water weighs 62 pounds per cubic foot. The IM-3100 will float 110 pounds.
    Unless my CASIO is faulty......

13. Warren

Storm advertising claim. But who can argue with a world class pedant? :)

14. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Not you, surely. :)

15. Warren

16. plaw

plaw Mega Poster

I stay away from the egg crate foam cases. In humid places they sweat,not good for metal.