gold medal grands

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by nanoots, Aug 30, 2021.

1. nanoots

nanoots Well-Known Member

pick up some federal grand shells looking to reload them anybody have a load work up. what would the right wad be. thanks fmd

2. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

Cardboard base wad?

3. icyclefar

icyclefar Active Member

B358D7BF-4865-4120-A3D0-A62F9A54808E.jpeg

I load these using the CB6100 wad, ExtraLite powder, Fed 209A primers, and 1 oz of 7-1/2’s for sporting clays.

Everything fits great, and they shoot and pattern well.

4. nanoots

nanoots Well-Known Member

thanks will give it a try

5. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Boycotting federal -- for what they have done to their dealer network -- dumped all my empties --

bossbasl, Jon Reitz and WillieG like this.
  6. grizquad

grizquad Well-Known Member Founding Member

they have a plastic base wad, so I use 16gr of 700X, CB6118 wad, 1 1/8 oz, and a Nobel primer. That is a nice 1100 fps load, works great on 16 yd. This and other recipe s are on Hodgdon's website and Alliant s website.
    As far as boycotting anyone, I like to load Federal grand and Top gun hulls, and when I find factory for a reasonable price, I buy them!

7. Ken Jossenberger

Ken Jossenberger Member Founding Member

I use the same as I use on Top Guns. Claybuster CB-2100-12, 1 oz. Winchester primer, and 19g Green Dot. Gives me around 1200 fps.

8. Packman 13

Packman 13 Mega Poster

I use 19.5 Green Dot 12 S3 wad or Downrange DRhF3 hybrid 8 petal wad with Federal 209A Primer 1 1/8oz shot

9. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member V I P

“LIKE”

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  10. settersit

settersit Active Member

Hey Jon, love your avatar. Now that is what I call a bird dog!

Jon Reitz likes this.
  11. Seedsntrees

Seedsntrees Active Member

I have been reloading the Grand for sometime for handicap using Green Dot. Be aware that every once in a while a hull will "shoot out" with no indication. Have contacted Federal Support and the Rep said not to be concerned. I only shoot that shell in a single barrel in order to ensure a portion of the hull is not lodged in the barrel. They do shoot thru the barrel. The case separates about half the length of the hull.
    Just be aware.

oleolliedawg likes this.