Gipson led ATA - where are we now?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by STaT mAn STaN, Aug 16, 2021.

1. STaT mAn STaN

STaT mAn STaN Mega Poster

There was more than 1700 in the Grand American Handicap this year. How is it statically possible? that Is this the same event that when held in Ohio had 5,000? We can call the 5K an anomaly. We can use a more often seen number like 4300.

Is this a leadership issue?

How would you structure the goals for the ATA Executive Director?

At a recent OSTA Meeting, the Ohio Delegate’s report is said to have included a statement that the ED “serves at his own discretion.” He even said the ED can stay as long as he wants. All this reported on the forum and has appeared in the Ohio minutes

The OSTA Delegate also reportedly said that he never saw the contract. Isn’t that one of the jobs of delegates? The Delegates choose direction and the ED gets the org to that point.

How important are the numbers?

According to the Delegate, the ED answers to no one. Numbers don’t matter. And neither do Delegates.

Roger Coveleskie and Dobyns like this.
  2. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

Did you shoot Sparta this year? If not why?

I did, I like shooting there. But shooting is all there is to do there, so you only get the point chasers, and some folks who generally love to shoot.

The MO shooters there seem pretty certain they get the Grand soon. If that happens my Grand trips will be much less frequent as its just too far away.

3. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

Seems awhile back i read on these threads or the other site where 2000 is the norm today. It might have come from the ED or someone at ATA.
    Thats sad that a facility like Sparta can only attract 2000 shooters.
    I shot Vandalia when 4000 shooters showed up but i feel those days are over regardless where it’s held.

Regards…….Gerald

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  4. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

Earth to Planet Gerald

There hasn’t been 2000 shooters in the GAH for a lonnng time.

A grand in Ohio would have 1300 Ohio shooters everyday. And the same number of PA shooters. But, I hope the Gipson crew stays west. Way west.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  5. Gerald

Gerald Mega Poster Founding Member

Yes Butter i know that. That was the ATA’s assessment not mine.
    They’re still working on it. Evidently if they can get 2000 they will be happy ?

Regards…..Gerald

6. butterly

butterly Mega Poster

I believe that almost. Depends on who the “they” is. My opinion is this is a Gipson led collapse. What delegate has done anything? Are there any bright enough? The Delegate from Ohio is quoted as saying Gipson serves at his own discretion.

Great job Ohio delegate! (If you are reading) You have similar bedfellows.

7. rickyd

rickyd Active Member

Are there any delegates willing to be counted?

8. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

Nope, we've had several call outs on them over the years and I can't recall one even responding to our comments.

Once elected, they no longer feel obligated to answer the electorate. Most don't understand our Constitution and By-laws mandate they hold the power and obligation to correctly manage our association. However, they are just fine with letting the Executive Committee (5 people) make all the decisions.

Dobyns likes this.
  9. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Maybe it is time for the states to refuse to elect a delegate. after all they do not work for us. Why elect some one who has no interest in who elected him.
    May be its time to get a movement going. Roger C.