Fuzzy Math from Winchester?

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Don Cogan, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

I received a blast email from Winchester Ammunition recapping the 2021 Grand American. The email states the 2021 Grand American drew 4,500 competitors making it the largest shooting event in the world. However, the ATA website shows total number of shooters classified for the 2021 Grand was 3119. Do you suppose 1,381 shooters managed to slip past the classification process and enter events anyway? New math? Fuzzy math? Wishful thinking? It’s a mystery.

Vhntr1, BRAD DYSINGER, wpt and 2 others like this.
  2. michigan_berry

michigan_berry Active Member

Could be including the AIM Grand numbers and just rolling it all up as the 2021 Grand? I don’t know if they had 1,300 for the AIM events but that sounds like it’s at least in the ballpark.

3. Don Cogan

Don Cogan Bird Hunter Past OSTA President Founding Member

Could be but……The line in the Winchester advertising specifically says “The 11 day event drew 4500 competitors”. 11 days would be just preliminary and grand week.

wpt likes this.
  4. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Winchester to the ata

Good morning, this is John Doe and I work for Winchester ammunition. We would like to use the number of people that attended the grand american event in one of our advertisements. We feel it would help us sell more ammunition.

SOMEONE at the ata,

Oh, OK, Hmmmm, I myself don't know that number but it looked like a lot. Why don't you use say, forty five hundred? That's a nice round number.

Winchester ammo,

Hey, thanks, works for me.

5. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

Lolol. Remember when they doubled the numbers. Oops accounting error. They had to print a retraction.

And the press release that said they had 15000 shooters camping and another 15000 shooters in motels.

wpt and History Seeker like this.
  6. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

ha ha ha,

They can't keep up with the demand now, so why not post any number they feel like ? ha ha ha

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  7. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

The ATA will never admit they made a mistake and let it compound for over 16 years under any circumstances ( talk about FUZZY math) ... That would be a description of the WSRC in a nut shell simplified so even the ED, EC, and many on the BOD could understand it .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Flyersarebest likes this.
  8. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Don you should read my comments on another thread in which I point out ammo companies are mostly made up of whores who spend a lifetime going from one company to another hawking THEIR brand as best, I forgot to mention they are also pathetic liars for the most part.

No need to explain the ATA's involvement in another lie concerning Sparta.

9. Brad Hitchcock

Brad Hitchcock Active Member

I would like to know the real truth why there can be ammo for a shoot in a Communist state and not others, seems like a bunch of lye's to me.

10. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

There were tractor trailer loads of shells at that place because someone told the shell companies there would be enough entries to need that many.

You don’t think the manufacturers guessed at how much to send do you?

Was it the outfit selling the shells or maybe the ata told them.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  11. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

Not really caring at the time, I think the shrink wrap on the pallets had ATA written on them.

12. eurojoe

eurojoe Active Member

Probably boils down to entries or individuals ??

13. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I believe that it should be part of the agreement with any ammo company that if they can't make sure that some of their ammo is available there will be NO vender room available. In fact if there is none of their ammo available why do they even want space? Just asking.

Dave Berlet