fs: used galazan solid red pad for pre64 win...reduced

Discussion in 'Missouri- Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm' started by bobski, Mar 15, 2023.

1. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

this is an older galazan 12ga pre 64 pad, back when they were really red and not orange. it was fitted to a model 50 trap gun and sat for years on a ridge in a gun cabinet, causing indent lines to form on the face. see them?
    sold as used and marred. no hole plugs included. of course... there is a slim chance itll drop right in. gunsmithing may be required. or use it on a m50 20ga or m12 20ga stock and trim it down. as is. 45.00 shipped
    IMG_4165.JPG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  2. bobski

btt...

3. bobski

btt...

4. Airhog

Airhog New Member

If that is like the one that I have it is too long. I have two other model 50 with regular buttplates and they are perfect. I ordered a thin Galazan pad to put on it and it is about 1/2 inch maybe a little shorter. One of my model 50s has the round Logo and the other one has the vertical Winchester like the pad you just sent. So I was confused as to which one was the correct for the year. So you’re saying that they couldn’t have been ordered with or without the recoil pad? Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

5. bobski

ok, i see what youre doing. you want to reduce lop w/o cutting the stock again.
    factory trap guns came with 14 3/4" lop over pad. pad is 1" so taking off the old rotten pad gives you 14 1/4 on wood.
    sounds like you wanted to just put a plate on the wood w/o cutting it.
    seeing you were concerned about correctness with the correct era buttplate, i was thinking you wanted to keep the correct vintage look with a period pad and cut the stock down again.
    1956/57 was known as the transition year where they slowly switched over to vertical logo. either or will work...for field grade or skeet guns only.
    only trap guns came with pads. they never had buttplates. trap guns only came in monte carlo design.
    im assuming your other guns are field guns with buttplates? be advised, they have a slight curve in the wood. so do the plates.
    if you try to put a pad on field stocks, youll have to redrill the holes. the pad is subject to cracking in the middle when you screw it down, since the pad is straight.
    knowing you are putting a 1/2 galazan pad on your gun, makes all of your concerns for correct buttplate a moot point for correctness.
    trap gun stocks came from the factory flat, and putting a pad on is simple. retro pad holes may even line up too. but a 1/2 pad isnt retro.
    and, putting a plate on a trap stock will be the flat wood vs. curved plate issue.
    it would appear fit is your main concern. and it seems the 1/2 pad achieved it.
    im guessing w/o pics, so....
    hope this helps. good luck!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  6. Airhog

Airhog New Member

That helps a lot. That was the info that I am looking for. I didn't think that my stock had been cut so I'm going to have to do some measuring. Yes the 1/2 Galazan pad was to get my gun functioning with a usable lop for me. Then some time in the future put the gun back original. I wasn't aware of the curve. It must be slight. But that means that I can use the Galazan pad and do what I wanted. with not problem. I will see if I can find a book on the model 12. Actually I do have the red Winchester book but I didn't pay much attention to the Model 12 since I don't own one. I knew you would be the man to help me with my dilemma. Thank you very much for the info. You can always depend on a Navy man.

7. Airhog

Airhog New Member

I'll send you a pic when I get the pad on. Thanks Again

8. bobski

my pleasure.
    remember, padded m50 guns have a different hole distance than m12's. and too, your buttplate screws enter differently too.
    the top buttplate screw on a m50 comes in at a down angle.
    compare your field butts and your trap butt.
    im pretty sure the trap butt and a featherweight stock has a cavity drilled out of the wood to balance the gun. it also is a perfect place for a recoil reducer. if your gun has that cavity drilled out above the recoil spring tunnel, make sure your new pad top screw hole doesnt send the screw into the void!
    pop over to shotgunworld if you want to get in on my old blog on m50's. look at some pics of different designs.

if in the future, you want to put a red pad back on the trap stock (cheap) call me for mine. id be glad to hear it goes on a m50 again!
    go...old navy!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  9. Airhog

Airhog New Member

That is some really good information as well. Thanks Again. I owe you.

10. bobski

still for sale...........

11. bobski

last reduction.........30.00 shipped.

12. bobski

btt...

13. bobski

these things go for 70.00 new.