First time loading with Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by amboy49, May 31, 2021.

1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I’ve exhausted my supply of Win 209 and CCI Primers so I started tonite’s loading using Cheddites. I’m using the gray AA hull. I noticed I had to lower the primer/powder tube slightly to get the primers to seat fully compared to the former depth setting I had used for Winchester and CCI primers. Assuming the slightly larger diameter of the Cheddites is causing the primers to be a little more difficult to fully seat.

Will this result in the primer pocket being “hogged out” and those hulls no longer usable with Win 209 primers ?

2. pump gun guy

pump gun guy Active Member

I have loaded Win. 209s behind Cheddite primers and had no issues. It might if you have reloaded the shells numerous times but, on the 2nd and 3rd loading I have found no problem.

3. Jan Packard

Jan Packard Active Member

I have been using chedddites for years and find them absolutely interchangeable with W 209's.

4. Michael jenis

Michael jenis Well-Known Member

Been also using them for years,never had an issue.Find them very close to the same as Winchester.

5. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

95% of my reloads are with Cheddites with no issues. I use them in Grey/Red AA's, Nitros, STS and Federals. Not a problem.

6. Willie

Willie Member Founding Member

I have had the same problem that you had and did exactly the same lowering of the powder/ prime tube. Otherwise you should not have a problem with cheddites; but some shotguns may pierce cheddites occasional or regularly which usually causes firing pin erosion.

Stl Flyn likes this.
  7. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

yes, they are slightly bigger than win's, but not dangerously loose. rule of thumb for me has always been, once a cheditte goes in, that hull is committed to chedittes forever.

8. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Cheddites are over size as well as Nobles --That is why I installed primer pocket resizer on my mec 9000 -- Just one less thing to check on your used hulls- Rudy came up with a great product - at - Creative Reloading solutions

Fishjager likes this.
  9. chipn100x100

chipn100x100 Active Member

Do you know if the primer pocket resizer works on a hydraulic press? I'm not sure if it would have the same pressure or enough pressure to do what it is supposed to do.

10. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

They have a great video and web site - check it out -- Or give Rudy a call

11. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

I know of 6 or 7 MEC units with the Ultimate Primer Punch installed. 4 are the 9000H series, one is an old 650 and one is a manual 9000. Units work just great. Along with the change in the primer pocket the scraper removes carbon from the crimp area and the adjustable piece at the top allows you to bell the top of the hull to suit your needs.
    I load AA HS red, grey and AACF along with Gold Medal and Nitro27. I never worry about loose primers and use any primer I can find and buy. Well worth the investment, we have to be able to use what we can get...... Larry

12. Av8or

Av8or Member

I have loaded thousands of Remington Gun Club, STS, and Nitro hulls and have had no issue switching between Win 209's and Cheddites. This topic pops up from time to time and I too was concerned when primer options became limited.

13. Larry

With a "break open" gun the chance of loose primer issues is minimal, its with the semi-auto's and sometimes the pump guns the issue arises. Never experienced it with Cheddite's but when following a FIO616 with a CCI or a Win209 I have had the primer back out or fall out before putting it in the box. Larry

14. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

I would guess if the Cheddits work for you, why not stick with them ?

I loaded CCI 209 Magnums for years, and they were about .003" larger than the regular ones.

I stuck with them knowing I would have no problems facing me in the future.

And IF you dumpster dive you don't know what primer had ben used before, so the Cheddites would be a safe one to use on the off chance they had been used previously.

Just my 2 Cents worth

15. Danny will

Danny will Member

I have been using cheddite for years and have never had issues with it, most of my reloads are with cheddite .

16. augustb

augustb Member

I have switched back and forth between Cheddites and Winchester 209's with no loose primer issues whatsoever.

17. Mrmetalweld57

Mrmetalweld57 Member

The cheddites actually feed better in my Dillon presses than the winchesters. I don’t know if it’s because of the copper coating slides better on the stainless feed plate, but they definitely work better. I’m gonna be hard pressed to go back to winchesters. Ed

18. Larry

I have been purchasing only the Cheddite for about 18 months since they are the most reasonably priced..... read a post somewhere that indicated they were now basically a US/Winchester diameter.... Just measured one and found about .0005" difference mid-body......... I seated a Cheddite 5 times in a once fired AAHS and then seated a Win209 in the hull and it was still a firm fit........ of course I did not fire the shell during this process. I then put the CRS die back on my 9000H. I suspect the way the world is changing if we are going to continue our shooting we will need to adapt to whatever is available...... Larry

Mrmetalweld57 likes this.
  19. firewater

firewater Active Member Founding Member

Rrisum ,do you have Rudy`s phone number?

20. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Took his phone # off web -- great web page -- videos - plus email contacts info -

21. Ralph Dudley

Ralph Dudley Member

I've used mainly cheddite primers but have used a few Winchester primers without any problems or adjustments on my MEC 9000 loading Remington and Winchester hulls.

22. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

I posted a primer size chart for reference.

Attached Files:

John Trap likes this.
  23. John Trap

John Trap Well-Known Member

I loaded some remington gun club hulls, with remington primers, that had previously been loaded with nobel sports. I had no problems with the remingtons falling out or anything like that.

24. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Odd. Lots of problems ?

25. Ken Cerney

Ken Cerney HOF Muscoda Gun Club Past Wisconsin Director Founding Member HOF Muscoda Gun Club

I understand the noble sports primers are now being made to US specs

26. Gordon Horigan

Gordon Horigan Active Member

Ken I never had a problem switching back and forth., Chid, Win, Rem. all worked for me. Using STS and Nitros. No adjusting when going from one to another .
    With MEC 9000 Gordy H

Just Trap likes this.
  27. Ken Cerney

Gordy, The problem some people have is the primer pocket will get starched out from the oversize of the foreign primer. I don't have problems as foreign primers is all I have been using due to price.

28. pepsiguy

pepsiguy Active Member Founding Member

have used winchester primers for years with no problems. just started with cheddites this week. they looked great but now my firing pin is piercing the primer. loading sts light loads, in K80. now screwded again!

29. Ken Cerney

Pepsiguy make sure your primers are fully seated

30. pepsiguy

thanks Ken, they were even with the brass. I dont know if I can seat them any lower.

31. Ken Cerney

with the battery cup flush with the shell base the primer cup may be more convex than the Winchesters Try a couple with a little more pressure to deep seat ( if your loader allows) and see if that makes a difference.

32. pepsiguy

Thanks Ken, I will it. I use a mec 9000 G, I suppose I can adjust it.

33. they are the same size! i use cheddittes and then winchester primers and they fit perfectly.no loose!!!!!

34. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

I have loaded Cheddites for more than a year now since the price and availability for Winchester and Remington's has been scarce. They load good and shoot the same as my loads before. Just make sure you load that is published and not guesswork. Sometimes the pressures change a lot with different primers.

35. Ed Budreau

Ed Budreau Active Member Founding Member

Well I was a Winchester primer guy forever. When they were no longer available in my area I switched
    over to Cheddites. I will never purchase another Winchester after they left us reloaders out to dry. There
    is no reason in my mind why Winchester and Remington primers have not been available. I believe the
    earlier Cheddites were a couple thousand bigger but I believe they are the same size now. One other
    thing is the company that owns Noble also owns Cheddites. Good luck