Federal Hulls and Winchester Primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by BIGBLUEDODGE, Jun 2, 2020.

1. BIGBLUEDODGE

BIGBLUEDODGE New Member

Anyone have experience with loading Winchester 209 primers in Federal Gold Medal hulls? I've mistakenly come into 5000 Winchester primers and I use 90% Federal Gold Medals. Alliant has very few loads for 1 oz straight wall hulls with these primers.

Lately I've preferred this load:
    18gr Red Dot or Promo
    1 oz. #8 shot
    6100 Claybuster wad
    Federal 209a primer

Can I sub in a Win 209 or do I just buy some 700x and be done with it? (Hodgdon has tested loads I could use)

Bryand Thomas

2. hullsnatcher

hullsnatcher Active Member Founding Member

I've loaded Winchester primers in Federal hulls for ever! 16.5 grs. of 700x,12so wad, and 1oz. of hard 8's for the first shot in doubles and play time singles. I do use Federal 209a's in my papers. I do not recommend anyone sub anything in your reloading. Manuals and scales are a must!!

3. BIGBLUEDODGE

BIGBLUEDODGE New Member

Yeah, generally I agree and I think your right.....I just haven't used 700x in about 10 years. It was always a good powder, though.

Thanks
    Bryand

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

If you have time call Alliant. They will have time to talk to you. The book and on line is good reference but going to that inbetween place they can help you better. Just a thought. The Winchester 209’s are pretty universal as well as the 209a’s. They are my two main primers. I got hooked on the Fed. 209a’s Many many years ago when the old timers told me to shoot them during the cold winter. So way back then, just a kid I bit and went for it. Still do it today but not recommending it without checking all your components. You’ll be able to do what you are looking for.