Fastest shotshell you ever loaded?

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Game Player, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Game Player

Game Player New Member

What is the fastest shell you ever loaded? A fellow at the club says he has a load that is close to 1400 fps. Myself I shoot factory.

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member Founding Member

Tried Longshot with 1 1/4oz moving at 1440. Too much shell for my 1100. The shells in the mag tube would move forward on recoil and there was no shell on the lifter when the action closed. Hit almost as hard to the rear as to the front!

3. jlmccuan

jlmccuan Member

Muzzle velocity or 36" instrumentation. US is typically the latter while many Euro are the former. Huge difference in that 36". I used to load a 1500fps copper 5 load, 3' instrumentation.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member Founding Member

Loaded a recipe for the 410 that gave 1485 fps in a 32" barrel. KILLED the hull. Backed down to 1380, still cuts hull life in half.

5. jlmccuan

jlmccuan Member

I loaded one in under three seconds once.

wpt, LG66, Larry and 2 others like this.
  6. overhandicapped34

overhandicapped34 Active Member

With a mec junior too?

7. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I have a few on hand that are @1600 fps 1 1/8th oz #6s, A bunch at 1585 fps, Loaded in RIO hull, RIO Primer, Blue Windjammer wads, 38.5 Longshot @10,000 psi
    Softer shooting than a NEW WINCHESTER SUPER HANDICAP. I have NEVER been out walked with it, against their loads.They are Marked w/RED Primers and XXs.

Gary Bryant...................................Dr.longshot

8. Joe Winnicki

Joe Winnicki Guest

Remington once tested a load to see exactly how far a load of 7.5 would travel. As I recall the load was around 2200fps at 42 degrees of elevation that load only traveled 35' farther than a standard trap load at 1200fps.

Joe

bill sparling likes this.
  9. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

We used to shoot "games " on Friday evening after the fish and steak fry, some of those guys would load some Boomers that the guy shooting 3 guns down from them could feel the percussion .. The funny thing about it is they beat the crap out of the guns they were shooting and didn't win any more often than the guys shooting factory loads ... There was one guy who beat up a Model 12 so bad he replaced it with and over/under he was told would take the abuse, he didn't win any more than the other guys but he sure had a really cool flinch after a while ... I shot all Remington Nitro' 27's, they got the job done back to 50 yards (probably beyond that) when we shot the 5 for $5's from the flag post ... Personally, I think they are playing mind games with them self with all those loads that will down tear the guns and the shooters them self apart ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Roger Coveleskie and jansonuhl like this.
  10. oldphart

oldphart Mega Poster Founding Member

Probably standing on one leg with one arm tied behind your back while listening to your wife telling you what you had ti get at the grocery store

wpt likes this.
  11. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

Years ago loaded a turkey shooting shell that was close to 1400. Used 4756 powder #41 or 42 mec bushing (i think). One for AA hulls and the other for Fed. paper hulls. 1 3/8 of copper 6's with a AA wad (red 5/8 wad) i believe.probably a CCI primer as was all you could get in the 70's. Absolutely pounded targets but shot the gun loose finally. Got to tell a story on myself with these loads. Was at a registered shoot on the 27 yard line .1/2 mile back to the truck. After a couple of shots discovered had these shells instead of my regular shells. Was already on the 27 and played no money so decided to just shoot them instead of holding up the squad. Was in no danger of winning so figured no harm, no foul. BIG MISTAKE!!! Next day could hardly lift my arm up. solid purple. Not make that mistake again.

12. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

I'll bet the last 10 were fun!

Roger Coveleskie and wpt like this.
  13. jansonuhl

jansonuhl jansonuhl

Only if you like to hit your thumb with a hammer. was done with fun after the 1st 25.

14. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

I have 6 1/2 flats of the first generation Nitro 27's, they were the ones that kicked like mules ... We had a few tested for the specs and they came out a little over 1320 FPS, but were legal for ATA being as they were factory ... I held on to them for games once Remington altered the loads and tamed them down to 1235 FPS (marked on box, ?) , I still think they are the best shell out there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...