Emil Flues

Discussion in 'History Buffs' started by 10Guns, May 17, 2017.

1. 10Guns

10Guns Active Member

HB,
    I was wondering if you had any information on the E F Flues single barrel trap gun. I have been doing a little research on Mr Flues and have found plenty of info on the Ithaca Flues guns and several of his works prior to contracting with Ithaca, but his single barrel trap seems to be a mystery. Thanks

2. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

10Guns,

Sorry for my delay in answering your post. I don't know how I over-looked it.

I don't have much on Mr. Flues, except what can be found with a quick Google search. Well, I can say that I've never heard of Emil Flues ever being reported to be a trapshooter, but I have an article in my files when he won the Bay County badge in 1901.

EMIL FLUES
    07 AUG 1861, Blumfield Twp., Saginaw Co., MI – 10 NOV 1949, Blumfield Twp., MI
    Bay City Michigan
    Married Maggie Merritt, of Bloomfield, MI-age 25 (01OCT1888)
    Produced Fine Schuetzen Rifles
    Buffalo, NY
    Brooklyn, NY
    Gunsmith
    Employed by Ithaca Guns (1906-1915)
    Known For Designing Ithaca Flues Barrels (1908-1925)
    Patent No. – 546,515 (cocking mechanism & safety)
    Won Bay County Championship Badge
    (1901) 37x50​

Emil Flues was born August 7, 1861 in Blumfield township, Saginaw Co., Michigan, and was the second son of Francis and Maria Flues. The Flues family were farmers. Francis and Maria raised 9 children.

Considered by many to be one of the greatest U.S. gun makers. The name Flues comes from the designer, Emil Flues, who worked for Ithaca from approximately 1904-1915. It has been reported that there were more Flues produced than any other models of double-barreled shotguns in the United States.

A great source of information is Walter Snyder’s “The Ithaca Gun Co. – From the Beginning.”

Information about Ithaca Flues guns can be found in the Double Gun Journal, Volume 13, Issue 3, published in Autumn 2002.

Here's the 1889 City Directory for Bay City, Michigan

1889 DIRECTORY, Bay City, MI.jpg
    Mr. Flues' Bay City gun shop was damaged by fire just before New Year's Day, 1897.

1897, Bay City, MI Blaze.jpg
    And in September, 1901, shooting in high winds, Mr. Flues broke 37 Blue Rock targets out of 50, to win the Bay County badge.

1901, Won Bay County Badge.jpg
    Enjoy Our History !

HB

Just Joe and Trap3 like this.
  3. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff US Navy Retired US Navy Retired Founding Member Forum Leader Official Historian Member State Hall of Fame

I did a bit more searching on Mr. Flues. I was never able to find his obituary though.

I found out he was interred at Elm Lawn Cemetery, Bay City, Michigan, however no picture of his headstone was available. I made photo request and Rosalie, a kind volunteer, photographed the Flues headstone and posted it online. For those interested.

HEADSTONE, FLUES, Emil, Sect. 14, Lot 161.jpg

Trap3 likes this.
  4. 10Guns

10Guns Active Member

HB,
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

5. Trap3

Trap3 Mega Poster

About four years ago I remember seeing an Emil Flues SBT listed for sale. As a collector of single barrel trapguns the engraving and craftsmanship of the shotgun was one of the finest i`ve seen...

Trap3

10Guns likes this.
  6. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Active Member

Prototype E.F. Flues Maker SN1 courtesy of Daryl Hallquist

[​IMG]

Prototype SN 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trap3 and Palos shooter like this.
  7. Tim Shaffer

Tim Shaffer Active Member

That kind or workmanship is hard, or impossible to find today. Automation, for the most part, has ruined hand craftsmanship and the satisfaction received from doing quality work. Here's to Mr. Flues.