Elk Hunt

Discussion in 'Off Topic!' started by coldtrail, Oct 23, 2018.

1. coldtrail

coldtrail Active Member

After 23 years of putting in, I finally drew an area 2 tag. It was a lot tougher than I thought,. They have had the worst drought since 1955. As a result antler growth was poor, and they were busted up pretty bad. The biologist told me that the antlers were so brittle that he would find broken antlers at trees where they were rubbing. That being said, I passed up 34 bulls, and was planning on going home without firing a shot. Then the last day, last morning I luck onto this bull. He is a good one, however I saw bulls that would have been bigger if they had all their antlers intact.` IMG_0994.jpg IMG_0996(1).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Win101

Win101 Mega Poster

Nice!!
    What state were you hunting?

3. coldtrail

coldtrail Active Member

Colorado

4. THEUNLOADER

THEUNLOADER Mega Poster Founding Member

Nice job Jess !!! Looks like my back yard !! ------------GB.

5. coldtrail

coldtrail Active Member

It is!!!!

6. THEUNLOADER

THEUNLOADER Mega Poster Founding Member

2096.JPG
    Jesse, You saw this one on the wall at my house. A few years back, he was between my corral and my kitchen window !! (If you get my drift !!)

7. coldtrail

coldtrail Active Member

Yes I do, however last time I saw him he had a tag in his ear and was chewing on a piece of wonder bread.
    I hope that you and Judy are well, look forward to seeing you soon.
    Cheers

The Phantom and Flyersarebest like this.
  8. southjblue

southjblue Well-Known Member

Great---I'm a new member and an avid hunter since age 9---I don't see a place to talk hunting.
    Are hunting conversation welcome on this site?I am gun shy to making a mistake SJB

9. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

The administrators can let you know if that would be a problem but as far as I'm concerned you can post all the hunting pictures and stories you like.

Coldtrail, NICE bull !!!!

You will see some "bull" on here but of a different species and only rarely.

BTW, Rifle? what caliber and distance? How tough was it to get him out? How about the camp set up?

Thanks for the pics

10. southjblue

I note under rules it states ok with shotgun sports I'll try to find an administrator

11. southjblue

Did you go as individuals or through a camp with a guide???Thanks SJB

12. coldtrail

coldtrail Active Member

Sorry for the late response, I shot him with a 6.5x284, 140 grain sierra game king. He was approximately 90 yards away when I downed him. I was on a private ranch near Browns Park Colorado, it is big country and fairly easy to get around. There are outfitters in the area which if you draw a tag will charge +- $6,000.00. If you want to buy a private land only tag, all inclusive starts at $15,000.00. In the event someone spots a 400 class bull it will go to $20,000.00 plus. Most of the ranches will charge a trespass fee starting at $6,000.00, this is a do it yourself hunt. Knowing what I know now, I would have turned my tag in and waited for a better year drought wise, or hunted a ranch with hay meadows. The ranch owners know what they have to offer, and are not shy about charging the fee. If you have any questions about how to arrange a hunt in this area please call me and I will be happy to help. Good Hunting/Shooting to all.

Flyersarebest likes this.