Eagle Shot-Not Too Good

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by oleolliedawg, Jul 27, 2021.

1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Being a West Coast shot user for more than a few years and since it is no longer available I bit the bullet and dumped a bag of Eagle #8 in my Spolar. Unfortunately, I weighed a few charges and most came in around 525 grs. That's awful heavy as 492 grs. is the standard 1.125 oz. load. I'd say Eagle either isn't #8 or possibly 8.5 or the Antimony content is pretty low. That said, I dumped out the Eagle and replaced it with some West Coast and it weighed around 495 grs. I'm not happy with Eagle shot!

2. 99PLUS

99PLUS Well-Known Member Founding Member

Eagle is both soft and runs small. Less antimony makes for heavier charge per volume Their 7.5 shot is closer to size 8's.

3. Macdaddy

Macdaddy Mega Poster

It has been my experience with the little bit of Eagle I have used, pellets measure about one size smaller than the stated size…..I too have experienced the heavier weight shot charges with the corresponding shot bushings and other reputable shot brands.

4. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

I load a lot of .410 with Lawrence Magnum. If I switch to Eagle my loads drop at least 10 grs heavier.

I recently bought 10 bags of Lawrence and it dropped about 7grs more than usual. Contacted Lawrence and they said it was probably a bad batch. I doubt it myself.

5. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Like my grand dad said "any port in a storm" -- today I will take what ever I can get my hands on and be happy! I can still shoot

6. Michael jenis

Michael jenis Well-Known Member

You got that right, many parts of the country are lucky to have any shot.I prefer west coast to eagle any day but at 16 yard trap or skeet I,ll shoot what ever I can find.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

We may be stuck with Eagle. Word on the street is they're having financial difficulties.

8. JJ_JJ

JJ_JJ Member

This is correct, if it gets any worse we might be loading with pebbles .

9. Cavscout107

Cavscout107 Retired Army

reloading pebbles????....where did you get your powder and primers????.......if things keep going the way they are.....we might be down to Crossman wrist rockets!

10. bob lowman

bob lowman Mega Poster

Andy thanks for the info because I was going to try and load some

11. thetruth22

thetruth22 Member

:D:D

12. Daryl Shehan

Daryl Shehan Active Member

I wager that most shooters aren't good enough to tell the difference between Eagle and West coast. I would happily load it and break targets with it. I loaded tons of it through the years with success. It isn't the bow , it is the Indian.

cl3 likes this.
  13. 99PLUS

99PLUS Well-Known Member Founding Member

Sold it for many years in my shop. Many really good scores were shot with it. Had Eagle and Lawrence. Eagle was 2.00/bag less. I out sold Eagle 10 to 1 over Lawrence.

14. Lloyd Reed

Lloyd Reed Active Member

I’ve got both. I have no doubt that the Lawrence is better quality but for skeet and 16 yard trap I’m sure that the difference won’t change MY scores. I’ll have to find another excuse.

15. MCTS

MCTS Mega Poster

I will load Eagle for 16’s and 1st shot doubles but not handicap. It does run small but will break the heck out of a 16 yard target

16. Larry Scott

Larry Scott Active Member

I have a post running wanting someone to measure
    their Lawrence Magnum shot. My bag of marked 6s measures and looks
    closer to 8s while the 8s are 9s or smaller. I have 20 bags of both
    6s and 8s purchased this Sept. LDS

17. King Shark

King Shark Active Member

Eagle is OK. It does not pattern as well as Lawrence or West Coast.

However for casual skeet, trap and sporting clays I don't think that you would be upset using it.

18. 25nout

25nout Well-Known Member

for the same weight of lead in 410 reloads I can get 11 more #9 pellets of Lawrence Shot compared to Eagle. So Eagle is soft & weighs more. My opinion.

oleolliedawg likes this.