Drilling a receiver & stock to lighten a gun

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by 635 G, Mar 14, 2021.

1. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Just double checked the weights of my two trap guns;
    1) Infinity 9.6 lbs

2) DeVault 391 elite conversion 8.5 lbs

Now the ?, thinking about removing some wight by drilling out parts of the receiver, the receiver was drilled on one side by Dennis for the screw that secures the cocking rod & drill some holes in the back of the receiver inside of the dovetail that secures the receiver to the stock

also the stock is solid no stock bolt would get it hollowed out as if it would have a recoil device

wondering how much weight could I safely get out of the gun, my forearm is custom for me ,don't care about resale, would love to be able to shoot ,my Infinity it again

cheetah likes this.
  2. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

635 G, Be careful how much weight you remove from the stock area. If the gun is barrel heavy, it will be unbalanced and harder to control. Roger C.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  3. g7777777

g7777777 Mega Poster

Horrible idea on the receiver drilling.

but you can hollow out stock

dr.longshot likes this.
  4. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

My 391 Complete Soft Touch system is 7.4 lbs.

GB......................................DLS

5. cheetah

cheetah Well-Known Member

635G it has been my experience that the best way to lighten your Infinity would be to use a lighter less dense wood you can easily drop a pound of weight by this method.
    My Kolars came from the factory with very heavy or dense grained wood and I have successfully changed the dynamics of my Kolars by using lighter weight stocks and still retaining a perfect balance in the process.
    Best regards Harold

6. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

The trouble is my Infinity doesn't have a thru bolt, it uses a dove tail to attach the stock to the receiver, hope someone could dupe it

Thanx --the current wood id a California Claro, wondering what wood would be less dense ?

7. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

635-G, I am doing this, you may want to do it also, Soft Touch Composie Stock Less the Soft Touch System
    @503-257-0524 Look Soft Touch up, you can make it look any you want, Mine is the one on the left second from bottom. You use the Beretta OFFSET SHIM for off set. Weigh your 391 stock, and ask him what a Composite stock weighs + the add on Pad Adjuster & Thin Kickeze Pad at your LOP,
    My LOP is 14"inches. you might cut down a POUND or more Difference.

You could Adapt the Ljutic stock to the Mach One & Infinity & Beretta

I am waiting for a call from him now.

GB........................................DLS

8. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

My Infinity stock is solid "NO" thru hole for a stock bolt, my 391 is not the problem, would love to get back to the Infinity it breaks or I should say totally vaporizes targets vs the way the 391 gets good breaks, but they don't compare to the Infinity when I could shoot it

9. dr.longshot

How is the infinity Stock Held in place?

GB.........................................DLS

10. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

If you remember on older cars the rearview mirrors were dovetailed to fit on a metal plate that matched the dovetail that was glued to the window and the mirror had a screw that fit the glued plate

On an Infinity the receiver is dovetailed to fit a reverse piece that is drilled and glued to the stock, a screw goes thru the receiver and locks the stock in place, this way Dennis could build a stock that was not constrained by a thru bolt

11. dr.longshot

What is your opinion of the ease or difficulty to adapt a Composite stock to replace the original stock?
    Call and ask if Soft Touch seen a Infinity and the style designed for Infinity stock replacement in a composite stock w/drastic weight reduction. My 391 weighs 7.4 lbs, what id I could remove the soft touch recoil reduction system and added an approx 1.0"inch recoil pad attachment I could remove approx 2.0 more lbs? to a 5.4 lbs? That would really help my gun mounting problems. My 391 stock mounting system is used on the soft touch stock washer and nut, i have had the stock off to switch the castoff shim to a RH shooter. It looks easy to me.

GB......................................DLS

12. dr.longshot

I ordered an X-full Extended Choke tube w/.695 choke.

GB.................................DLS