Does anyone go back to a BT99

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Tom Ketchum, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Tom Ketchum

Tom Ketchum Active Member Founding Member

I own four Perazzi’s three TM’s and one MX3 but some how I always come back to my old competition style BT-99 does anyone else do this?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

Once or twice-just for the heck of it. I've been shooting my old Model 12 for the last two weeks while my K-80 is being serviced. Let's put it this way-I'm anxiously waiting for the Krieghoff to return.

SanRemo32 likes this.
  3. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

The older we get, we need lighter guns, I went back to my 391 from my Infinity, The late JC Nunn, shot comtivitly, till he was 95 he shot a 303--also we're slower & need slower triggers

Lately I noticed better results with a lower hold point, but with a higher POI--went from 80/20-to 100%-its seems better, to me

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  4. mikeod

mikeod Active Member

looking to buy tm1? if you got 1

5. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

Don't own a safe full of guns just to look at-- shoot 'em all --Drives my team mates crazy - different gun every week ---635-G hit the nail on the head -age does make a difference -- and yes - a BT-99 will break targets just as well as my Krieghoff and just as fun to shoot!

pump gun guy likes this.
  6. Ralph Dudley

Ralph Dudley Member

Enjoy using my BT-99, BT-100, Win 101, XT, and Rem 1100. These guns break targets as good for me as do my DeVault Infinity and CG.

pump gun guy likes this.
  7. oleolliedawg

My high score with the Model 12 was 47/50 in two weeks. Last night I smoked 49 with my Trap Special. The release triggers are incomparable.

8. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Many years ago I picked up a BT-99 Pro, 2 barrel set both 34" compared to many with 32/34 singles .... That was probably as nice a gun that ever came off of their lines, the wood was exceptional and the gun over all was just a beautiful piece and I shot it reasonably well ... Being a dealer at the time I got some smoking deals on some MX-8 combo's so off I go and started shooting one of them until I happened across a really nice Y Model 12 that I had to have (made money with that ) , then a guy wanted to buy the Browning so like a dummy I sold it ( I think he is still shooting that gun yet today ) ... People ask which one do you wish you would of kept, for me that easy because its all of them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

pump gun guy likes this.
  9. SanRemo32

SanRemo32 Active Member

I know a couple of shooters who each that took a 25-30 year hiatus from shooting. They showed up with their old BT-99s and within 2-3 weeks they were just as good as they were when they left the sport. It was really something to see.

pump gun guy likes this.
  10. Tom Ketchum

There’s something about BT99’s when I started it was my first trap gun and then I bought a Perazzi then a 90-T and then the flood gates opened I bought every trap gun I could afford to buy after all these years I think what if I just stuck with my BT-99.

11. Mike Poore

Mike Poore Active Member

We have a long running 5 club summer league here in South Central PA. Every week we get ~90 shooters with 30% of 'em Vet/Sr.Vets. Within that group, there are a lot of BT99's.

pump gun guy likes this.
  12. oleolliedawg

Frank Little set records with a BT-99.

pump gun guy likes this.
  13. jet setter

jet setter Active Member

I have a couple of friends that shoot a variety of shotguns for trap. They always cycle through their shotguns but they always end up using their trusted BT a majority of the time.

pump gun guy likes this.
  14. plaw

plaw Mega Poster

A buddy shot a different gun every week of a ten week trap league. I think his avg.was 46

15. Ralph Dudley

Ralph Dudley Member

My first trap gun was a BT-99. Recently, I purchased a BT-99 and after a little pattern board work and adjustments started shooting 25s with it. I also recently purchased a BT-100 and the same thing as with the 99, shooting 25s frequently. Looking for to the state shoots.

16. Tom Ketchum

Fantastic Ralph I think we can all say we all love the Browning BT-99 .

17. Smithy

Smithy Mega Poster Founding Member

Using illegal shells. That's why he fell apart at the Grand. No illegals. lol

18. oleolliedawg

Yeah, he sure fell apart. A 99+ average for 13 years straight but he couldn't hit anything at the Grand. Would you like to share some of what your smoking?

pump gun guy likes this.
  19. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Finally got a good scale and weighed both trap guns
    Beretta 391 DeVault conversion: DeVault Infinity:
    receiver complete: 5.30 lbs. receiver complete:5.38 lbs
    barrel. 2.124 lbs forearm: 1.50
    Total weight 7.424 lbs. barrel. 2.145
    total weight. 9.025 lbs

20. bobski

bobski USN Retired Range Owner

bt99 was always too light for me. sorry, i sold mine and closed that chapter in my life.

21. BerettaSC

BerettaSC Member

After Perazzi. No looking back.

22. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

The BT-99 was refered to as the poor man's perazzi. I still have one added a high rib, and had Pat McCarthy make a left hand stock Lock for it. I made a conversion to open for a left handed shooter I also make ejector rods and ejactor extensions for it. shoot it more than my Kreghoff. Roger C.

pump gun guy likes this.
  23. PaulLori27

PaulLori27 Active Member

Our whole family (kids) never left the BTs.

pump gun guy likes this.
  24. pump gun guy

pump gun guy Active Member

The BT-99 is probably the best bang for the buck in a SB trap gun. I have one but my wife shoots it now. BTW -- a trip down memory lane. In 1979 I bought a used BT-99 from Gene Sears for $199.00 plus shipping and FFL fees. AH! The good old days !

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  25. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

I paid $275.00 tax.title,and ins. for a new one In 1974. At a hardware store in Chardon, Ohio. Roger C.

pump gun guy likes this.