Dillon or RCBS

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by srp41, Dec 19, 2020.

1. srp41

srp41 Active Member

Which one for 12 ga. shells

2. Sgoose

Sgoose Mega Poster Founding Member

My opinion is neither. I would go with a PW 800+or other models. Have used one for the last 40 years. Call PW Idaho or Jim (Whiz)White
    in South Dakota at S&W Supply.

Sgoose

3. Wayne J

Wayne J Mega Poster

What Sgoose said.

4. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

I am familiar with all of these mentioned, Dillon, RCBS, and the PW. Dillion is the best for progressive Rifle /Pistol reloading,
    But, for shotshells PW is by far the best. I have owned all three. For less issues, such as primer feeding, Wad insertion, crimp start and final crimp, the PW is the best. I have been reloading shotshells for more than 40 years, I have loaded for Hunting and Clay target shooting for all those years. Unless you get a really super deal on one of the other two, I would spend my money for the PW. I have owned several PW's and now reload with an 800+. I load more than one gauge on the same machine. The changeover to other gauges is quick and simple. I can be reloading a different gauge in just a few minutes, with no/or few minor adjustments. The Spolar is really good, but a lot of bucks and the difference in not enough to get me to spend more than double the money.
    The service from all three companies is top notch.

5. mission6222

mission6222 Mega Poster

Hard to beat the start up price of the mec . you cab buy the single stage, used for $100.00 often, a nice grabber for 250.00 a 9000 for around 350. If you are on a budget ( who is not) these are good entry level loaders.

6. Gia1

Gia1 Mega Poster

I would talk to members of your club or at other Clubs you attend. Hopefully some of the members may have the reloading presses your looking to purchase. Take the opportunity to ask questions and maybe see them in operation. Do not discount the PW presses they are built like a tank and will last you a life time. Used 900, 950 and Platinum 2000 are very good reloading presses at reasonable cost. The PW 800+ is awesome. I have 2- 900's and an 800 plus. The biggest problem with them is making sure you remember to put shot and powder in before you run out. All presses Mec ( most reasonably priced) included need cleaning and attention once in a while. Hopefully you find what works best for you. Good Luck, shoot straight.

7. dr.longshot

dr.longshot Grudge Match Champion Founding Member Forum Leader Grudge Match Champion

I personally prefer the MEC 8567 Progressive, you just need to rotate it manually, no auto-cycle piston replacement, faster too, Best Resizer on the Market every time you cycle it, I put on the Fully adjustable Charging Bar and I dial in my charge w/Digital Scale, Owned 4 PWs, and 2 Pacifics, The Pacifif just flattened out the Brass base so shells did not cycle in Autus

GB...............................................DLS

8. bob lowman

bob lowman Mega Poster

RCBS Grand is the best I have ever owned. I think until it comes out of the last stationthe PW 800 or 800+ won't allow you to remove the hull once you pull that handle down

cheetah likes this.
  9. southjblue

southjblue Well-Known Member

Don't know your price range----I owned a Dillon but found it to be too technical when it has problems. Their tech.
    staff is fine but you need more help than they can give over phone at times.
    Forget their help now since they are so busy with other stuff and shotgun loader help is almost impossible.
    I know since a good friend has a Dillon and can't it fixed.
    If U look at my Mec thread I own 7 Mecs and they are the BEST for the price-
    I like the 9000h rather than the Dillon since I use my foot to rotate since I have a rotator cuff tear.
    I used Mecs for over 40 yrs---I can load 25 shells in 4.5 min.
    JMO
    SJB

10. Wayne J

Wayne J Mega Poster

If you are going to operate the machine manually, the 366 Is my choice.