Dick's does it again (but better)

Discussion in 'Off Topic!' started by Jakearoo, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Jakearoo

Jakearoo Mega Poster Forum Leader

Well, I guess Dick's was not satisfied selling Remington Gun Clubs for $4.98 about a month ago.
    The put em on sale this weekend for $3.98.
    (You won't be able to get them at my local store. I bought em all.) ;)

dkals, Sovrapposti and wpt like this.
  2. bob lowman

bob lowman Mega Poster

I bought 15 cases at my local store, can't beat that price

Sovrapposti likes this.
  3. Maser

Maser ∞ Based ∞

They are self-aware of their screw-up with their idiotic anti-2A views on ARs and now are in panic mode with their damage control. Too little too late in my eyes. They might as well just stick to selling over priced camping gear and soccer mom crap.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  4. The Phantom

The Phantom Village Idiot Village Idiot Forum Leader

Sometimes a person's deeply held convictions aren't very deeply held after all. 2nd Amendment loyalty quickly evaporates when the enemy can buy a fellow for a dollar a box.

5. BAMA

BAMA Mega Poster

My be selective stores. Not here.

Sovrapposti likes this.
  6. oldshooter1949

oldshooter1949 Well-Known Member

Won't buy anything from any of their stores.
    They made their decision now they need to deal with it.

mpolans and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  7. Sovrapposti

Sovrapposti Well-Known Member

Did we boycott Walmart for whatever the reason at one time?;)
    Bank of America, Citi bank, Wells Fargo, or did we find any reason to boycott Chase as well?

We supposed to boycott so many of them I can't remember after a while, anyone has an updated list?

Roger Coveleskie, wpt and Jakearoo like this.
  8. Sovrapposti

Sovrapposti Well-Known Member

Before we get the updated list of businesses we supposed to boycott, please keep me updated on another sale of shotgun shells. I missed the last one.

9. The Phantom

The irony of ironies is as obvious as a black eye. I wonder if all those WalMart bashers who claimed that WalMart was putting all the "Mom-and-Pop's" out of business are the same ones who are beating the doors down to buy cheat shells from Dick's. Say, when's the last time any of you went shopping in a Mom-and-Pop sporting goods store on the Main St. of your home town? Win 101, you buy your shells from a Mom-and-Pop, don't you?

10. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

You DICK shoppers better hurry and buy all you can while you have the chance. From what I have read if the 10 test stores prove them right all the stores will stop selling any type of firearm or related items.

Their prices and choices sucked anyway so no surprise for the "lack of sales".
    I wonder what they are going to do with all the professional firearms experts that worked behind the counter.
    Back to selling socks, the department they came from I guess.
    They were fun to talk to while my wife was in the mall.

Can I help you?
    Maybe, I need 25 flats of Federal P154's 71/2's of course
    Yes sir, but the PF Flyers are in the shoe department, and I don't remember seeing size 7-1/2's when I was working that department this morning.
    Shotgun shells
    Oh, OK, I thought you meant PF Flyers. Let me check for you. You said what kind of shells, pistol?
    No bud, shotgun shells.
    OK, sir , I checked with the gun department manager, he was working in the golf department, and he said the only rifle bullets we had were Winchester. Can you use those?
    I told him if I did buy any it would be just one round.
    Let me check with the manager again sir, I think he is now in the lacrosse department.
    Sorry sir, he said the smallest amount he could sell you was one box. I don't know how many there are in a box but I think it's like 15 or something around there.

That's OK
    Since there is only you, the gun/golf/lacrosse manager and that guy sitting in that back room on his phone ignoring us even that would be too many.
    Yes sir, so do you want the box or not?
    Thanks skippy but I think I'll have to pass this time.Maybe next week if they have a sale on PF Flyers I'll come back.
    This was one of the kids that about 3 weeks prior told me that he and his 2 buddies behind the counter had been shooting skeets the weekend before. When I asked where he said his friends farm. Used a hand thrower and they only missed about a dozen out of around 400 they threw. Yep, one guy was using his black tactical mossberg in 20ga and he didn't miss ANY out of like 250 he shot at.
    That's some shootin huh?

They named it DICKS for a reason.

At the South Hills Village mall south of Pgh there is a Dicks at the end of the mall. Not 150 yards away in the same parking lot is a stand alone restaurant.
    BJ's
    You can see both store names at the same time if you stand in just the right spot
    You can't make this stuff up

11. Win101

Win101 Mega Poster

No, Phantom, I don't.
    Used to but Walmart ran them all off, remember?
    I buy my shells through our youth program.
    Get them much cheaper and no sales tax.
    Average around $50/ flat.
    Thanks for asking, though.

The Phantom likes this.
  12. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

Win101,
    You do realize what you are doing to get cheap shells is against the law. The youth group is not allowed to pass shells through for private party usage with out tax. Roger C.

wpt likes this.
  13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

There is one reason why Dick's would stop selling ammunition and guns, profit! If the margins are not worth the sales, they will stop just like any other retailer. I can guarantee you they have higher margins in almost every other thing they sell. When they sell those shells on sale at such a discount, and you buy nothing else, it is not worth them selling the shells. If some do decide to buy a gun, of something of ten times the margin while there buying shells, things are looking up, and is the main reason why they sold them shells in the first place so cheap.

By the way, any of you aware of what gun sales/pricing have been lately? My local gun shop says he does more transfers than actual gun sales. If it was not for those and his gunsmithing-customizing he would not survive. Plain and simple, on-line sales and major retailers are the reason why the Mom and Pop stores are disappearing in all merchandise stores. Think of all the Mom and Pop stores closed simply because of Home Depot, Menard's, Lowes, etc. Lumber yards, Appliance Stores, Flooring stores, Lighting stores, Hardware Stores, etc.

Same reason why people buy from Dick's, one thing is get everything cheaper, and the second is one stop shopping, if you even have to go to the store. Up here we have Fleet Farm. One stop shopping, in my favorite store. Better yet, just have it sitting on your front step, and pick it up on your way back from the mail box. Warehouse overhead, and linked distribution costs allow for free shipping, and even if you have to pay shipping, it is still cheaper than driving to the store and all around town to do your shopping.

It leaves more time to sit on the computer and complain to the world also, that don't do what you want them to do. :rolleyes:

14. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

STI,
    The big box stores allot so much floor space to each dept. or product. If the profit is to low for the space, the product is removed and another item is put in it's place. All aspects of retailing serve a purpose, the customer always sorts them out. Roger C.

wpt likes this.
  15. Jakearoo

I am headed to Dick's right now. Sale on GunClubs ends today 12/16/18 at 4.98. Online coupon for additional 10% off guns and ammo also ends today.
    Regards, Jake

Sovrapposti likes this.
  16. The Phantom

It's hard for me to imagine that anybody here really gives a rat's turd what you do...but I don't have a very active imagination.

17. Flyersarebest

You are supposed to reply. ANY kind of reply. It's called trolling.

The Phantom likes this.
  18. Flyersarebest

Too bad those shells aren't worth even the "sale" price.

The Phantom likes this.
  19. Jakearoo

Flyers, I don't shoot them at any "events" or games. But I like to shoot a lot of targets. And, they work pretty well. At least, I run my share of 25s with them, including from 27 yards. And, they seem to make pretty satisfying smoke balls when I make a good point.
    I am just too darn cheap (or poor) to shoot AAs for thousands of rounds of casual shooting.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Mega Poster Founding Member

If Dicks enjoys losing money on every sale but making it up on volume I will buy up every $3.98 Gun Club and nothing else.

Jakearoo likes this.