Club changes your post

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by 635 G, Dec 24, 2020.

1. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

a shooting bud of mine went to an unnamed club- he was the first person to squad and he requested to shoot post 3 (his favorite),(he was put on post 3), now he's not a regular @ this club, when it was his turn to shoot he found mgt had put him on post 5 and one of their frequent flyers was put on post 3--and people want to know why ATA shooting is dying ?

2. cwtech

cwtech Active Member

Tell your friend life is too short to worry about such menial disturbances in his life. ...I hope that is the worst problem he has to deal with.

Yes, I have my starting preference but I if I don't get it, life goes on. ....I have to shoot all 5 posts anyway. ....I can stay & shoot, or walk away bitchin' & stompin' my feet.

Can you really say that ATA shooting is dying because someone gives favoritism to a friend?

3. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

What about big dogs always seem to get the best banks @ big shoots ?

4. Turbine

Turbine Active Member Past State President

While I’ve only shot registered trap in seven States, I’ve always gotten a piece of paper with my squad number and starting post written on it.
    Several times, six shooters have walked out to the line. The discussion always seems to start “Well, I always start on post 2 with these guys”.
    When the slips of paper are compared, I’m on the squad with his buddies, and he is on the next squad starting at that trap. From working many shoots, I believe that if a shooter believes he will shoot better by starting at a particular post, he probably will.
    JB

Flyersarebest likes this.
  5. Diesel43

Diesel43 Active Member

Was this at an ATA shoot?

6. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Yes --it was a registered shoot

7. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

"Yes, I have my starting preference but I if I don't get it, life goes on. ....I have to shoot all 5 posts anyway. ....I can stay & shoot, or walk away bitchin' & stompin' my feet."

MISSED THE POINT.gif

"From working many shoots, I believe that if a shooter believes he will shoot better by starting at a particular post, he probably will."

We all know 99% of the game is mental, (you can teach a monkey to break targets,) so if something throws a wrench into the works of course it's going to have an effect on your score.

If it didn't matter they wouldn't ask you where you wanted to start. Now, if you go somewhere and are just jumping in to fill a squad?, that's a different story. You are mentally ready for that before you pay your money. I shot with the same squad for a few years so we didn't have to deal with that but if 2 of us went somewhere the first thing we asked was

What's the next squad you have with positions 2 and 4 open?

If it was too far back we would take two positions that were open earlier but at least we knew that BEFORE we got our gear together and headed for the line.

You think that guy isn't going to tell all his buddies about that club and how they operate? They probably lost that guy from ever going back to that club.

BRAD DYSINGER and Turbine like this.
  8. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

You're sooo right, he said," they'll never see him again"--also, it was a 75 mile dr

9. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

As Handicapper and squader at ATA shoots and someone wanted a post that was already filled. I or the shooter asking for the post would have to find that shooter on that post and have them tell me personally that the change would be OK.

10. BT99&SKB

BT99&SKB Active Member

Every ATA shoot I go to uses a computer print out of your class, yardage, starting post and payment given to you. I don't see how it could be changed/disputed if you have the original copy.

11. Michael J

Michael J Active Member

Did you ever think that someone made a mistake!

12. User 1

User 1 Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

A "mistake" may be two people on the SAME POST on the squad ..... NOT BEING MOVED to a different post on the same squad .....

The biggest "mistake" is giving the "ATA" money, period .....

13. Flyersarebest

The guy walks up to the window
    The sign up sheet for the squad is BLANK
    He says he wants station 3
    The man/women squadding takes his money and tells him he is on station 3
    Then, when the squad is called to the line he is on 5

Yeah, there was a mistake. The club made it when they put “one of the boys” on 3 because he likes that starting station. And they pissed off a potential future customer.

Sometimes there isn’t two sides to every story.

If it was me I would have posted the name of the joint

14. Edward M. Fish

Edward M. Fish New Member

Don't want to worry about having your post changed,just sign up for Post 1, problem
    eliminated.

15. Flyersarebest

OK, what if after you sign up on 1, remember the sheet is blank, and when your squad is called you are a different station because
    "one of the boys" showed up after you signed up and HE likes 1?

Here is another "what if"

What if the guy that signed up on 3 was the only shooter on his yardage? Say he was on the 24 and there wasn't anyone else in his yardage group. Did the club move him to a squad he could shoot on, ( it used to be a 2 yard gap, I don't know if it still is) and THAT squad already had 3 or 4 people on it. For instance, could he shoot with a group of 25-26-27 yard shooters?

If that was the case the club should have told him what they were about to do and ask him.

Do you want to shoot by yourself? We have one 25-27 squad and we can let you shoot with them but position 3 is already taken so if you don't want to go out alone you have to start on 5.

His choice at that point.

No matter how it happened, the mistake was, the club should have have talked to him first.

16. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

When I was Tournament Director at the Cardinal Center my first rule follow the rule book it's not a book of suggestions, Second rule if it pissed me off when I was shooting don't do it. This would have pissed me off.

Thanks flyer for the post, but what we really need is a graph to explain this correctly.

wpt likes this.
  17. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

He did not say they changed his squad number. They changed his position on the same squad. That is not very user friendly. Roger C.

18. Flyersarebest

If he was the only one signed up in his yardage group and they moved him to another squad so he didn't have to shoot by himself then they changed his squad number.

19. Roger Coveleskie

Roger Coveleskie State HOF Founding Member Member State Hall of Fame

The origional post did not mention yardage group. It only mentioned squad #. Roger C.

20. Flyersarebest

I didn’t see a squad # in the original post.

I would bet a buck the change had something to do with yardage and the number of shooters in this guy’s group. Really the lack of shooters in his group.

21. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

Yardage was not a problem--it was a kiss ass problem !!!

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  22. Flyersarebest

OK, I didn't know you were there. I thought maybe there was already a squad signed up with with one guy on the 25-1/2, one the 26 and one on the 27 and they moved the 24 yard shooter to that squad so he didn't have to shoot by himself.

Ron Burdick likes this.
  23. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

Maybe.
    The OP indicated no squad change, just position change. Them's the known facts. Best we avoid speculation.

Roger Coveleskie likes this.
  24. Flyersarebest

You are correct in that the OP did not indicate a squad change. That is a fact.

635G said his shooting bud TOLD him what happened. That is a fact.

Maybe? There WAS a squad change.

The chances of that are about the same as say, oh I don’t know, maybe
    someone that was there and in that squad sending me a PM explaining what happened?

25. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

This exactly what happened,
    1) my Bud goes to the window--the squad is totally empty--requests post 3 and is given it
    2) when its time for the squad to shoot , he goes to post 3 and is told he has to change his post

Case closed--PM me & I'll give U names & place

26. Flyersarebest

Thank you, I’ll do you one better. I sent you a PM I received from one of the shooters that was actually there and on that very squad.
    And yes he included his name but I chose to respect his privacy and not add it to the PM

27. mudpack

And did this unnamed shooter say there was a squad change?
    If he did, that might change things a bit. Not much, though, since the shooter who this happened to still had his squad position changed without his knowledge.

28. Flyersarebest

Read the quote I sent you from the shooter THAT WAS ON THE SQUAD

As far as the guy not being notified before he went to the line?
    I said that was the mistake the club made in one of my first replies to this thread.

29. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Well-Known Member Founding Member

635 G,
    You are making way to much out of nothing. I was on that squad and believe any of the moves were made so your friend didn’t have to shoot by himself.
    There were 3 long yardage shooters. 25-27
    There were 2 mid yardage shooters. 22-24
    There were 15 short yardage shooters. 19-21

The 22 yardage shooter went with the 10-21 group
    The 24 yardage shooter went with the 25-27 group.

The Polk County club is trying to give ATA shooters another place to shoot in Florida.

Ron Burdick

Flyersarebest and wpt like this.
  30. Flyersarebest

Thank You Ron

31. 635 G

635 G Mega Poster

thanx for mentioning the club

32. mudpack

Have not received any quotes to date. Can you resend? I would be very interested in reading it.
    Burdick's post gives us no new information.

33. Ron Burdick

mudpack,
    If you could not figure it out from my thread you must not shoot trap.

Ron Burdick

34. Dick_Erter

Dick_Erter Active Member

Three long yardage shooters showed up at Imperial Polk? Hell, that’s the problem. We have a better chance of seeing a herd of unicorns run down the lane.

35. Flyersarebest

I sent you a PM. The " marks are there to show it was a quote from the sender to me.

36. mudpack

Just now checked my Conversations (PM's) again. Nothing from you. Am I looking in the right place?

37. mudpack

I re-read your post (#29) again. Still can't determine who the shooter who was moved is being referred to.
    Cannot find the thread you are referring to. Can you provide a link to it? I'd like to figure this whole thing out myself, and you may have information that will help me.

38. Ron Burdick

mud pack,
    Now is the time for you to get a ATA rule book, read the part about handicap squads and you will get it.

Ron Burdick

Flyersarebest and wpt like this.
  39. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

Most clubs reserve the right to make changes (usually to programs) as deemed needed from time to time, this sounds like it was one of those times ... The shooter should of been advised and given the right to withdraw or not accept the change if the change was a problem for them, this does not always happen but it is not something that would ruin my day of shooting if it happened to me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Added later to post (after thought) : If the election is not over turned and sorted out the advantage of Republicans (Trump wins) we are going to have things much more important than getting our post changed to worry about, so it is time for all of us to band together to secure our rights afforded by the Constitution of this United States of America ... God Bless and Happy New Year ...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  40. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

When I was the Tournament Director for the OSTA and Cardinal Center if we ever had a squading problem we always tried to contact the shooter about it first. I can't ever remember moving someone without asking first. Not saying it didn't happen and I wasn't made aware of it but not to my knowledge. A Small shoot would be very easy to find the guy beforehand I would think.

Anyone who has never had anything to do with running a shoot the size of the Ohio State Shoot should try it before being to critical of the help. I'll admit that some venues have a less than good attitude and deserve the bad press. Most times this works out with fewer shooters over time.

Long before I was ever on the OSTA there was an attitude that Gun Clubs were more important to the shooters than shooters were to the gun clubs. This same attitude is what got the ATA and Sparta in the position they are today. Without customers trap shooting became the home to big empty facilities, just like shopping malls are becoming. Np customers = No Need. Bye Bye Big Clubs. Now through in Government lock downs, Demarcate gun grabbers, and what will 2021 look like? Every Club should be bending over backwards to KEEP what shooters they got.

41. twostraight

twostraight Well-Known Member

Happened to me once at a registered shoot in a doubles event in western Colorado. Same bullshit, one of their favorite sons was given my spot. Quit going there, and they probably cared less. I understand a lot of other folks have also quit going there. What comes around goes around.

42. mudpack

Was not asking about the rules.
    I have a rule book.
    I was asking about some posts made here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2021
  43. cheetah

cheetah Well-Known Member

I
    I don’t mind the change it makes me concentrate on the game at hand and allows me to make a silent statement to the squad that it just doesn’t make a DAMN to me watch this!!!