CANADIAN CLAY TARGET ? BRANDON

Discussion in 'History Buffs' started by History Seeker, Mar 6, 2019.

1. History Seeker

History Seeker A NoBody Founding Member Official Historian

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a vintage clay pigeon in my collection that I picked up on a mountain side below a 1 house trap field some 40 years ago in upstate NY.

It is a solid orange target with BRANDON in the center and Target on top of that, and MADE IN CANADA below.

Sorry for the bad picture but you get the idea.

Is there anyone out there who can give me information about where this was made, by what company, and an approximate age?

In researching I found Brandon, Manitoba and the fact they had early clay brick factories but nothing about making Clay Pigeons.

Anyone from Canada perhaps know of this company ?

Thanks for any help !

Center row, 5th from the left

BRANDON TARGET.JPG new mini-mu (2).JPG

2. Jim Carter

Jim Carter New Member

Interesting find and nice collection! I come from the Brandon Manitoba area.my quick research indicates that brick, tile,pottery, and terra cotta were supposedly manufactured at the Brandon Brick Co.. It is quite possible that they made targets as well!! The company has been gone for 75+ years.
    There has also been national shoots at Brandon over the years. Could it be possible that there were some pressed with Brandon on them for a major event!
    If you have had it for 40 + years !wonder how old it is?

3. History Seeker

Jim,

I got in contact with Rob Lamont at the Brandon Gun Club and he gave me some possible hints to research. One was Rick Lawry from Lawry targets.

Rick remembered a time when there was a target manufacturer in Brandon many years ago, and they were only in operation for a year or two.

I also saw the same as you have told me about the brick and pottery manufactures.

I have put out a note to the Manitoba Historical Society in hopes they may have something about the company that produced this target.

Who knows, it may be so rare, I can continue my retirement...LOL

Thanks, Dave

Better pics below:

BRANDON 2.JPG BRANDON 1 (2).JPG

Hasbeen likes this.
  4. Jakearoo

Jakearoo Mega Poster Forum Leader

That's cool.

History Seeker likes this.
  5. History Seeker

I have had a few ideas thrown my way on who the manufacturer could have been. I suppose it is just possible another manufacturer could have pressed BRANDON into the top.

Nobody from any of the history museums in and around Brandon, Manitoba has come back with any information.

The mystery goes on, but Jim Carter has given me an idea to begin comparing the top of this target to others I have to see IF any would match my BRANDON. Then I could possibly narrow it down IF indeed there was a manufacturer who pressed the name in for a special event.

I'll let you know IF I come up with something.

I wish I were still in upstate NY now because I would be looking over that mountain side for more.

Thanks guys, D

6. History Seeker

I have spend the past month and a half researching and comparing different targets to see if any would match up to the Brandon on the chance that some other manufacturer possibly made these for a special Brandon shoot. Nothing has come up.

Have had no response from the museums in and around Brandon so my guess is they have no information either.

The mystery continues.

Thanks for the help guys !

D

7. History Seeker

I have been comparing different targets to the "Brandon", and have yet to come up with any one of them that looks like the Brandon at all. I have a limited collection, and have also explored a lot of pictures of targets but have come up dry so far.

Interesting search for sure.

Hasbeen likes this.
  8. History Seeker

We have a researching fellow on here now named Squigie.

I thought I would bring this to his attention and see if he has ever heard of, or found anything on the BRANDON target Company out of Canada.

Been a lot of research on this, but any and all eyes perhaps someday will come up with some information.

Welcome aboard Squigie !

Hasbeen likes this.
  9. History Seeker

Mystery is solved with information about the Brandon Target.

Many thanks to the fine folks who read and post on the "Canadian Clay Target Shooting forum".

I posted the question on there to see if anyone had info about the target, and right away I received lots of information,

Thank You to our Friends in the North Country.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The were made in Saint-Gabriel de Brandon, at the North of Joliette. The shop close 20 years ago

The Target Brandon was make à St Gabriel de Brandon province ofQuébec .....
    The owner was Michel Mageau
    This co. are close 20 years now

Hasbeen likes this.
  10. Jim Carter

Jim Carter New Member

Good to see that your mystery has been solved! It makes more sense that the target was from there, instead of Brandon Manitoba.

11. History Seeker

Hi Jim,

The reason I had my sights on Brandon, Manitoba was because there was a lot of Clay brick industry in that region, and I had some folks telling me to look there.

It's amazing how many different ways there are to look into things.

Thankfully I came across that Canadian Shooters web site.

Hasbeen and HistoryBuff like this.