Browning BT-99AR

Discussion in 'Off Topic!' started by tshoot1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. tshoot1

tshoot1 Well-Known Member

Anyone had any BAD experience with the AR model relating to forearm cracking or comming loose? Thanks!

2. turbo38gn

turbo38gn obsessed newbie

I'm no expert, but seems to me the AR model basically just has the raised , adjustable top rail.. can't really see where that model alone would have issues with the forearm over other models. Although, I did read the Monsoor model AR's had some kind of a thicker forearm. I actually have 2 BT99's, new to me, now, one does have the raised AR and it's an older Plus model, no problems with the forearm

3. tshoot1

Thanks very much. I'm looking at one right now, but fellow shooter at my gun club bought one when they first came out and had to send it back to Browning twice and NEVER got it fixed. Was without gun for over 5 months. So just a little Leary.

4. turbo38gn

I did an awful lot of research on the BT99 before buying mine.. the reviews are as good as any.. you won't find a better gun.

5. tshoot1

Did you get the BT-99AR or Std. BT-99? THANKS.

6. wpt

wpt Forum Leader Founding Member Forum Leader

If you are concerned about quality I know where there is a like new MX 2000/8 combo set for sale ... Them Barthelow Boys seems to get along really good with the Brownings they shoot, probably lucked out and got good ones ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. turbo38gn

I got the BT99 Golden Clay and I am waiting on a used BT99 AR Plus.. I shot one of my friends 99AR.. it was also an older model, no issues with the forearm, was fine and it shot great..

8. Adam Cline

Adam Cline Active Member

I had one from 2002 that keep breaking screws in forearm. Browning has done an update since kinda like a recall they will fix it if you take forearm the new have a screw or bolt in forearm where receiver and forearm go together this solved the problem. Never had mine done due to not using it anymore but that was a a while ago.

9. tshoot1

Thanks for info. Joe

10. jmunsell

jmunsell Well-Known Member Founding Member

Seems like I read somewhere a long time ago that you need to check the two screws on the barrel side of the forarm quite often the do come loose. No problem with mine on my Plus but a friend of mine had his crack because of it and his cone loose all the time.

11. tshoot1

It's a shame Browning ever quit making the OLD BT-99 Plus. Their new version MAX Plus is priced way way to high to get many buyers especially with all the problems the AR has faced. New BT-99's have been cheapened up and are not near as good as the old versions. ALL ABOUT THE BUCK!!!

12. turbo38gn

Just Curious, what are all the problems you speak of.. and how have they been cheapened up..

13. tshoot1

To each his own but in my opinion the AR model when first offered had a forearm problem with wood cracking and poor attaching. The NEW Std. Grade BT-99 is pretty much a "Plain Jane" compaired to the Older Std. Grade. Some very noticable differences is No Engraving - No Ejectors - No high polish finish on metal - No high gloss finish on wood with little to NO figure. Again ALL ABOUT THE $$$$. Just my opinion.

oleolliedawg likes this.
  14. turbo38gn

Sooo, did you buy the 99AR .. also curious … how many of these 99's have you owned?

15. tshoot1

NOPE!! Staying with my TM-1. I have owned 8 different grade BT-99 and BT-99 Plus in single barrel, and 1 Golden Clay 32" Citori Plus and 1 Signature Grade (Red, Black with Gold lettering) 30" Citori Plus. Wish I would have kept them all. NEVER OWNED A BT-99AR. I shoot a 725 Sporting in 20ga. with 32" barrels. Have Briley Ultra Fitted 28ga & 410ga. full length tubes strictly for SKEET.

16. turbo38gn

Wow.. you've had your share of BT's … was your Plus a high rib and if so, which did you prefer, high or low rib..

17. tshoot1

I think all the Old Style PLUS had same adj. ribs and think the AR is the same. The New BT-99 Plus has a rib about as tall as the BT 100 but neither are adjustable. All in all I liked the Pigeon grade with std. height rib. Not the Beavertail style forearm but the more square style. Browning makes some nice guns for a reasonable price.

18. turbo38gn

I have 3 of the BT's now, I have not been able to shoot the new 99 Golden Clay to save my life.. The old 99 Plus and the BT100 ... I love,, powder the birds most of the time. But I paid all the money for the new GC thinking it would be my gp to gun. Now I wish I had bought a 99 Plus or the Max … anything with the high rib seems to be what works for me. Bumming on the GC, but not ready to give up yet. Put the comb and pad back to factory spec and going to try to sight it in and see where it's hitting.. so disappointed.. almost ready to sell it or trade for something else..

19. tshoot1

I'm 73 so I LIKE OLD STUFF.

turbo38gn likes this.
  20. turbo38gn

good news today... I sighted in the 99 Golden Clay …. waawho.. heading in the right direction now. Had the best day with it so far. Shot a 19 1st round, not sure second round, no one kept score, but it was in the ball park.. Now just need to shoot rounds.. I know it may not sound good to most here.. but for me it's a good round... if you saw what the wind was doing today, it was daaamn good.

21. tshoot1

Practice make perfect and any score from me with a 2 in front is a good day.

turbo38gn likes this.
  22. Charger

Charger Active Member

I have had my share of BT99's and BT100's and the old plus's and a new plus. I'm with tshoot1 on the quality of the new guns compared to the older ones. I think Browning today has went down the road of quantity instead of quality. Hand me a BT100 or any BT99 and I can smoke the targets but Browning can keep their guns that they are making now. They used to make quality guns and at reasonable prices.

23. turbo38gn

I picked up an older SS BT99 PLUS Friday off GB, WOW, what disaster. Never saw a gun so beat up, pictures looked scetchy, so I got the seller on the phone, he gave me basically a thumbs up, gun was in good shape, wood needed lots of work ... it wasn't pretty, the receiver looked like a blind man was putting it together for 30 years with a hammer and chisel...

24. trapshooter47

trapshooter47 US Army Retired US Army Retired Founding Member

I've got an old Plus gun with a release trigger I'm thinking of selling, should keep it, but I always say that. They are great guns.