Blowin Smoke 2 reviews and book reports please!

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by Family Guy, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy Mega Poster Founding Member

New advertising on the forum! Blowin’ Smoke 2 by Steve Carmichael. Who has read it? Reviews were great on book 1 and now book 2?

The first book discussed many of the same topics on the forum thru the eyes of Steve Carmichael.

I didn’t know there was already a book 2. Information and reviews please.

Just Joe likes this.
  2. Flyersarebest

Flyersarebest Moderator Founding Member Forum Leader

Google Steve Carmichael, Blowin Smoke II

"Blowin' Smoke II is written as a continuation, not sequel, of Blowin' Smoke, as the main characters are related to trapshooting in one way or another. Many of the stories intertwine with those of the first publication but will appeal to a much larger general readership which will include sports fishermen and general aviation amongst others."

Unlike the first book, which was offered in hardback, paperback, and digital, it looks like the 2nd one is only in paperback for $12.95

Ordered mine

Just Joe likes this.
  3. michigan_berry

michigan_berry Active Member

Just finished. It’s similar to the first one in that it’s a collection of stories from his trapshooting life. I’d say this one ventures more into fishing/hunting/travel-type stories than the last but they’re great to read, just the same. I did enjoy the large chunk dedicated to his time with the Army Marksmanship Unit and their travels competing in Europe (particularly one story involving Stafford and a Mercedes). All in all, it’s absolutely worth the read and an important record of some of the history of our sport.

Just Joe, cl3, Cooperdisciple and 4 others like this.
  4. Just Joe

Just Joe Administrator Staff Member

5. kolarpole

kolarpole Well-Known Member Founding Member

Blowing Smoke 2...................I enjoyed book 2 and the hunting/fishing tales in Alaska. Both books are hardbacks that I have. As Steve Carmichael said early in this book the stories are hilarious, informative, and a few are sad. The Perazzi events and the use of Krieghoff guns told of interesting changes. You will love reading both books....kolarpole

Just Joe likes this.
  6. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Forum Reporter Founding Member Forum Reporter

I just finished Blowing Smoke 2. I like the folks above, enjoyed both of the books. I think I enjoyed more of the trap stories in the original one. Although, I really enjoyed some of the stories in #2. One of the stories was about the Perazzi visit and the TM1. A lot of the information was interesting and new to me. Steve said he owned and shoot serial number 286. I just happen to own serial number 280. I have not shot the gun for many years. These guns had absolutely the ugliest wood of any shotgun ever produced. The forearms were huge in size.
    They were one of the greatest handicap guns in their early days. The triggers were so fast compared to everything else we had shot for many years. Although my gun is not all original anymore. I had Tommy Wilkerson do his barrel magic on the gun and a very good friend made me a great looking custom stock and forearm for me. I still have all of the original wood with all the matching serial numbers. And yes, this gun got me to the 27 yard line.
    I wish I could remember where I bought the gun and how much I paid for it. I loved his stores about Ray Stafford and Doug Elson. I will ask Ray the next time I see him if he has anything to add to the story. Ray always wants to know if I have seen and or talked to Doug recently. Then there was the story about Doug Elson. It just so happens Doug was born and raised just a few miles for me. When Doug's father passed away, Doug contacted me to conduct an estate auction for his dad's possessions. His dad was a WW2 vet and had some really unique stuff from the war. Doug was well known in our area.
    Two area trapshooting legends (Brad Dysinger and Dave Berlet) stuck Doug with the nickname of "Creek Dick". Had something to do with his profession as a game warden. You will need these guys to tell you some stories about Doug and his adventures with these guys. Doug and his wife worked for many years during the Grand American in Vandalia, Ohio. They both done an outstanding job for the ATA and shooters in those days.
    I am hoping Brad and Dave will share some good ole stuff with us. Again, if you would like to get some history of the old days in trapshooting, I would suggest you read both the books. Now all we need is Brad and George Snellenberger to author a couple of books. I can listen to these two guys tell stories for hours about trapshooting history.

MOE, Just Joe, SES and 1 other person like this.
  7. Clayman

Clayman Well-Known Member

Both are fun books to read for anyone with an interest in trapshooting.

Just Joe likes this.
  8. cl3

cl3 Mega Poster Founding Member

I enjoyed both books, #1 a little more. Neither are expensive and well worth purchasing.

Just Joe and Flyersarebest like this.
  9. shortbarrel

shortbarrel Active Member

I also thought #1 better.

Just Joe likes this.
  10. shortbarrel

shortbarrel Active Member

What I really found interesting was Steve's comments on how the Perazzi TM-1 changed the game when it first came out.

Just Joe likes this.
  11. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I have read both books and really enjoyed both. I really think that any one interested in trapshooting could enjoy both. My first memories of the Carmichael family was during the 1961 Grand. Going to the grand that year Steve's dad told him that if he broke 98 or higher in one of the handicaps he would buy a model 12 that Steve had been wanting. He broke 98 in the Grand American Handicap and Steve got his model 12. What makes this memorable for me is that I also broke 98 in this event. There was 1 99 and 6 of us broke 98's and in the shoot off I broke 49X50 to become the runner up.

I also remember Steve winning the Clay Target in I believe 1975 Steve and Hugh Driggs were the last 2 in the shoot off and that was the year that they walked after each shot in the shoot off's. I also remember Steve breaking a really horrible hdcp score at the Grand and following it with a 100 in the next hdcp. Then down the road several years Steve and son Stef came to the Grand making Stef the 3'rd generation for me to compete against. Other than shoot off's I don't remember being squadded with Steve, but I have watched his amazing career for many years.

Reading about his years on the Army Marksmanship unit was very interesting, but bittersweet. In 1963 I was offered the opportunity to join the Marksmanship unit, but I failed the hearing test and was not accepted. I have always believed that this was a million dollar experience that I missed out on. Kevin Onka, George Burruss, and I were scheduled to enter at the same time and George and I both missed out by not passing our hearing test. Prier to his Army experience Kevin was the youngest person to win the Clay Target Championship. I also remember in 1960 watching George Burruss and Joe Hiestand being the final 2 in the Clay Target shoot off with Joe winning his 5th and last Clay Target Championship.

For me these 2 books were not only a good read, they brought back so many great memories from my almost 70 years of shooting. From watching the Herb Parsons exhibitions, my first Grand trophies in 1958, many Beer stand stories over many years, the last Vandalia Grand and the Sparta Grands, besides all my other shooting stories, and remembering so many great people that I have met and associated with over the years.

Dave Berlet

12. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I spent Friday afternoon on u tube looking at trap shooting videos. The number of expert trap shooters giving advice was breath taking, most of these people I've never heard of. After 10 years of not paying attention to or caring about registered trap shooting I shouldn't have been supprised.

One u tuber from about 10 years ago was known to me and I also thought one of the best produced clips on u tube. Steve Carmichael had a short vidio from the the Clark County Shooting Center telling newbies what to expect and how to shoot a round of trap. It was a fun watch and also very informitive.

I have lots of Steve stories from over the years, too many to write about but he is a nice guy I can write.

Cooperdisciple and BIG PAPA like this.
  13. Rn3

Rn3 Well-Known Member

There is a podcast with Carmichael that is good,look up Trap Talk from the back fence.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.