Any Thoughts on these Lower Priced Shotguns

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by IowaShooter, Nov 30, 2021.

1. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member

So I have been looking at a few of the O/U 20ga.
    Your thoughts on these models.

CZ USA - Ultra Field Supreme
    SKB - 690 Field
    Franchi - Instinct SL/SLX
    Savage - 555 E

Prices range up to 2000$
    and yes I can look at Beretta and Browning, but I would just look here about these models.
    Thanks for your incite.

2. ljutic329

ljutic329 Mega Poster Founding Member

If you're looking for a field gun I would suggest a Browning superposed from Belgium

3. Ron fisher

Ron fisher Mega Poster

You can't go wrong with any browning...everything they make is very high quality..better resale too..

Trapcountry likes this.
  4. ljutic329

Ron,

The 725's there are producing now are as close to junk as you can get.

And then you get the Browning non-service

Roger Coveleskie and bossbasl like this.
  5. IowaShooter

Well I see that there is Browning Love and Hate, I guess I hate owned them but only have had problems with them.
    I have been down the road of Berretta and they have worked well, but as finances dictate I had to sell.
    Now I am building my collection back.

I want one of these guns for Upland game hunting and that is the reason for the question.
    And I want to save a little money.

6. Trapcountry

Trapcountry Active Member

I am with Ron on this, Browning makes one of the best SHotgun. they are on my top three list of best Shotgun makers.

7. Ron fisher

Ron fisher Mega Poster

Of the 4 you have listed, the cz's are real nice and are priced fair...I bought a used cz rifle that shot way right that couldn't be centered with a scope..I called cz and told them...they said send it in...when I told them that I wasn't the original owner ,they said they didn't care and that they stand behind their products..sent it in, they called me said that couldn't center it either..put new barrel on it and sent it back..no charge...good company to do business with...I have a cz side by side with 30" barrels and exposed hammers..love it.

Cargodog and IowaShooter like this.
  8. ljutic329

We'll see how Colt comes out since they are now owned by CZ.

9. IowaShooter

Ron have you heard of the firing pins to be a problem on the shotguns?
    Now this would be a pheasant hunting gun and mostly wont get to shot a box of shells a year.
    Now I do like to shoot Clays every once in a while and would like to see it work there as well.

10. Ron fisher

Ron fisher Mega Poster

I haven't heard of any firing pin problems..cz is now offering trap guns and have shown their guns at the cardinal shooting center in ohio the last couple of years where you can shoot them....trap guns take a beating so I would think they have a good product if they are going in that direction...

11. Howard K

Howard K Active Member

I have 2 cz guns a 20 ga target and a 28 ga redhead and love both of them. Both have been sent for service and was very happy with the service. Turn around time was less than a week. I use them for sporting and have had no issues.

12. IowaShooter

Howard K
    Nice to hear that information,
    I would guess that your thoughts are You would recommend these guns.
    They were promoted by a guy by the name of Tom Knapp and I would think that he would have walked away from them if they were Junk.

13. boomer2

boomer2 Active Member

Of the guns you listed, the CZ line offers the best quality and durability in that price range. And has been suggested, their service, if needed, is superior.

14. Smokintom

Smokintom Mega Poster Founding Member

Not an O/U but you really need to look into the Browning BPS shotguns. Sweet is an understatement and very affordable.

15. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I own a half dozen CZ rifles and I think they are as good a rifle as any made. We had a gun store and were CZ direct in about 2005 or 2006 when there weren't many CZ dealers. We sold a bunch of shot guns and didn't have any body complain about them so I'd say they were good guns too.

An old SKB is all right but I'm leery of the one's made in Turkey today. What I've been doimg is adding to my collection with old classics. Look around on your travels you can probably find old supposed brownings someplace out there in your country. Twenty ga are harder to find but I bought a 1950's 12 for $1025 two summers ago at a gun show, and also a first gen Ruger Red Label 20 for $950 at Jaquas.

Check out Jaguas Gun List they get as many old guns as anybody

16. IowaShooter

Hi Brad
    You have mentioned Turkey is a place to avoid, but really, are there any of these cheaper shotguns that are made somewhere other then Turkey.

17. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I'll be honest I'm not sure about the ones you mentioned although maybe the Savage. I just think that instead of spending money on a new questionably made O/U buy an older model Beretta or Browning. Ask yourself this question, will any Turkish O/U be worth more to my kids than I paid for it. I can't see a demand for cheap made O/U in the future collectors market.

Just use pre 64 Winchesters compared to newer models. Quality will always make the price go up in the firearm business.

Flyersarebest and John Trap like this.
  18. IowaShooter

I wonder would any one here have had or knows who still makes a single shot 20ga slug gun?
    I have been looking now to see who as a gun manufacture might still make a rifled barrel on a single shot,
    The only one might be Thompson Center,

Any thoughts out there?

19. RednBlue

RednBlue Active Member

I have the SLX 16 gauge, it weighs in at 5 lb 8 oz, great weight for a field gun. It also comes with 5 extended choke tubes, cyl, im cyl, mod, im mod and full. Fit and finish are very well done.

20. Jim Woodside

Jim Woodside Member

I have 4 SKB shotguns; 690 Field O/U in 12, 20 and, 28G. and a 12 ga, 90TSS Trap Gun. Fit and finish is excellent. My 90TSS has thousands of round through it. Never had a failure of any kind and the action is just as tight as the day I bought it. I do know that many clubs use the 90TSS for their rental guns and it is very popular with high school and college youth trap teams. That should be a solid testimony to their quality and durability.
    My 3 matching 690 guns are outstanding as well. They haven't been shot as much, but they have been flawless. The wood on my 28Ga. is absolutely superb. The other 690's wood is very good as well. Fit and finish is excellent. If your looking for a nice, reasonably priced O/U. I truly believe you can't go wrong the new SKB's. They are an excellent value for the money. If I could afford 4 Perazzi's maybe my opinion would be different. I am satisfied with what I could afford.

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  21. IowaShooter

I have finally had the chance to see one of the 690 SKB 20ga in a Scheels. I thought it was a well made gun and from what could tell seemed like a great bird gun and or a clays gun.

I can say the wood was ok, it was real wood not some composite witch I really dislike.
    I believe that if you spend that kind of money it should wood,
    Thanks for your information

BRAD DYSINGER likes this.
  22. Donald piper

Donald piper Member

I have seen many 870 pumps shoot as well as anygun Now long term will they hol up ?Who knows but for a Low price gun the shoot fine to start out

23. mudpack

mudpack Mega Poster Founding Member

The requirements for a great bird gun are different than the requirements for a great clays gun.

24. IowaShooter

I would agree, I currently have both to suit my needs.
    You get what you pay for in most cases and buyer beware should be approached with firearms.
    I just thought that this site would many knowledgeable people who had tried these guns and could speak to there experience with them.

The way its going even these guns will be hard to find and over priced,.

25. Howard K

Howard K Active Member

It also depends what you are using it for hunting or Clay's as that may impact your decision. Just scored a great deal on a 390 20 ga silver mallard. Shot a round of skeet with it. It worked flawlessly and was fun to shoot. Depending how much use it is going to get. If you are shopping g over unders in that price range there is no reason not to buy a beretta or browning as I own both the beretta 682 and browning xt and cxs and love them all. As per the previous comments the will not lose value. The way things are going up the cheap Turkish guns may not lose value either. If you buy for 600 now and down the road they are selling for much higher you value will increase. That is what happen with beretta and browning. My 390 could have been bought new for 600 but now beretta semi autos cost 1800 on the low side so now it is worth 1500. If you are like me I would and are not going to shoot it a lot take the 2000 and buy a 20,28,and 410 in tristar or cz. I own a tristar 410 and love shooting it. I have to say there service is also very good. When I call they always answer. I had a firing pin concern because of some hard fiocche primers and he sent me a set of firing pins and springs no charge just in case so I would not be without my 410 if I had a problem. It appears to just be a fiocche xun gauge ammo issue. Love there 12 ga but have had several issues with the subgauge stuff.

26. Jammer

Jammer Moderator Founding Member

Iowa, you will find a more informed discussion at "Shotgunworld" concerning the brands you mentioned.