Any One Eyed Skeet Shooters?

Discussion in 'Skeeters Corner' started by NordCelt, May 27, 2015.

1. NordCelt

NordCelt Member

My wife and I shoot both trap and skeet. This past weekend we attended a Nora Ross Trap Clinic. My wife switched from being a two eyed to a one eyed shooter during the clinic. She already shot well with two eyes so not sure why she wanted to make this change. Anyway, I'm concerned she is going to have problems now on the skeet field.

My question: Are there any good one eyed skeet shooters out there? Don't care if they are champions, I'm just currious if there are people out there shooting skeet with one eye and doing well enough to enjoy coming back to the skeet field without being discouraged.

2. NordCelt

NordCelt Member

On the skeet range one eye didn't work for her so she switched back to two. She switched back to two eyes on the trap range too and ran her first 25 straight.

No harm experimenting in practice to find out what works best for you. In general we both benefited greatly from attending the trap clinic. For me a perfect day is when I shoot at both ranges.

3. Lman57

Lman57 New Member

You never know without experimenting.

4. Rabun Creek

Rabun Creek Member Founding Member

Sam Armstrong. World champ. Uses an ocular block, which is basically shooting one-eyed, although peripheral vision is not blocked as it would be with one eye completely closed.
    Best case: Two eyes.
    Next: Ocular block (dot or tape on one lens).
    Last: One eye closed.

5. gun fitter

gun fitter Member

Kim Rhode

6. JimDV

JimDV Member

I am a right hand, right eye dominant, 2 eyed shooter....however ....on left to right targets ,especially low 1, 2,3 and 8 I need to close my left eye or it will crossover and make me miss

7. Krieghoff-80

Krieghoff-80 Well-Known Member

Jim,
    How did you figure that out?

8. JimDV

JimDV Member

Trial and error. I wondered why the lead never looked right to me on those targets and why I would either miss and / or shoot very late(because either that or watch it sail away). Tried the patch and hated it ( kept trying to look over it) . A friend suggested that I acquire the target with both eyes and then close my left eye. Boom ..the lead looked right and they broke. Station eight was the cause for much frustration until I just closed my left eye from the very start.

This happens to me in Sporting Clays on left to right crossers when they pass the center point before the break point so I close my left eye and boom.
    i am sustained lead guy. I think approaching these target as a swing through shooter and shooting them quickly could work too, but until I fix other issues that I have I will stick with what works for me.

9. Perazzi Nut

Perazzi Nut Well-Known Member

John Shima recommend it in his class, works great like anything else you have to work at it.

10. la angler

la angler Member

Some people call for the bird then close one eye on the move to the target. Winking I think its called.

11. rrisum

rrisum Mega Poster

The wink system is what I had to settle with --Being a left hand shooter, on hard rights, my no dominate eye always try's taking over -.settled on the wink and works great --It does take practice -Just don't do it when you are out with your wife --She just won't believe you, your just practicing your shooting eye.

12. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Becky McCumber is one-eyed, using scotch tape to block left eye.

13. Ernroe

Ernroe Well-Known Member

While this is an old post (2015) the problem remains today. I started shooting after action pistol shooting where eye dominance is easily accommodated. When I came over to Skeet it became a problem. I tried every gadget that I heard about but with little or no consistency. Finally, an old friend of mine, the late Al Morrison, taught me the "Wink" method. A year later I was the 20ga state champion. I'm not saying one or all of the gadgets out there don't work I'm just saying what worked best for me. I don't shoot registered targets any longer secondary to increased age and decreased desire. But, when I do shoot I use the "wink" method.