A little magic for the MEC

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by Shane317, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Shane317

Shane317 Active Member

I bought a new punch die for my 9000 from a guy on internet. Custom reloading solutions I think. What a difference it made for around 40 bucks. Any one else have one?

2. Rob 111

Rob 111 Active Member Founding Member

What is the difference/ up grade over the original. Respectfully,Rob Mize

3. Shane317

Shane317 Active Member

Rob-
    It opens up the mouth of the shell on station one almost to factory size. It has a groove in punch that somewhat scrapes (cleans) the inside. He has some videos on Youtube is where I found his products. I was amazed at how well it works. Now if I could only find something that made the primers drop correctly every time......
    Name of company is creative reloading solutions.
    Happy reloading!
    Thanks
    Shane

4. Rob 111

Rob 111 Active Member Founding Member

Thank you ,I ordered yesterday ,Looks great .Thanks for the heads up.Rob

5. Larry

Larry Mega Poster Founding Member

I have been using one for a couple years as have 5 or 6 others in the area. The provision for opening the case mouth is adjustable, the internal scraper removes carbon from the hull mouth area and it comes with 2 deprime pins. One pin simply knocks the primer out, the other can be adjusted to tighten the fit of the primer in the pocket. You will find the CRS die a great modification for your press....... Larry

History Seeker and Jon Reitz like this.
  6. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Active Member

The company is Creative Reloading Solutions. I ordered 2.
    OtH

Larry likes this.
  7. Larry

I find that using this tool extends the life of any hull I use...... not exactly sure why but I wonder if it not because of the combination of the carbon scraper and the belling of the hull mouth... Where I really notice the difference is with the Federal Gold Medal hulls, I have a small supply of once fired... The problem I had with them was that the pleats would split and after 5 (?) loading they would not hold a good crimp... Probably double than number now.. My supply will run out but now will last a bit longer. I also notice the AA hulls (both old and new style) last forever........
    Pretty good investment I think.
    Merry Christmas all and a happy new year
    Larry

8. pjmurphy

pjmurphy Well-Known Member

I'VE watched the videos in the past good to hear how well it works in practice. i'll be ordering one soon.
    Thanks
    PJ

9. Larry

A shooter in Ca first informed me of the tool, I was about to purchase a new primer punch from MEC and did a price comparison, MEC was $26 for the punch and their freight always runs very high.. I considered the fact I was going to spend some bucks anyway and the adjustable belling provision and carbon scraper sounded good and Bret knows what he is talking about so I bought one.... my shooting buds came around to watch and in a short time they all took the plunge and I bought another for my son.... Larry

10. ARK80

ARK80 Member

Use caution how much pressure you put on the primer hole adjustment. It can push out the face so when you install a new primer it will catch on the lip of the primer pocket aluminum die and the index arm will start to pop off. Once all adjustments are done correctly it is a great upgrade.

Larry likes this.
  11. nickthanos

nickthanos Well-Known Member

Have seen threads regarding issues with the MEC 9000G & 9000H where the shell does not drop all the way down into the de prime & re size station, causing the brass to get deformed at the lip. Have had this happen before, and just again now. This is almost always caused by a shot pellet stuck in the re size fingers, or behind one of them. A cheap dental tool from the hardware store makes it easy to remove. Use a flashlight to check all of the fingers to see if there is a pellet between them, and behind the fingers. Could not find anything, until I checked behind the fingers & saw a pellet there.

12. Larry

By spring I will probably take the collet out for a thorough cleaning.. when I do I will take my Dremel and OVERSIZE the hole in the base it fits through...99% of the issues I have are caused by a 7.5 shot betweet a finger and the edge of that hole in the 2 o-clock position.... enough of a gap any 8 shot passes through.. the modification will not cause any issues with the machine as it has no other function than to allow the collet to operate and to HANG UP 7.5 SHOT. Larry