410 Hull capacity

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by John Trap, Jul 4, 2022.

1. John Trap

John Trap Well-Known Member

I got a bunch of Winchester AA, 410 hulls from some gentlemen at the club. Both CF & HS variety. It seems like I can get more shot in the HS hulls than the CF hulls. These are 2 1/2". Has anyone ever loaded 5/8 ounce in the HS hulls? And if so, what was your formula for 1200 FPS? I have Win 296 powder, cheddite primers, and the red CB5050-HS410 wads.

Thank you

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

You can't get that much shot in a 2 1/2" hull. You should be able to get 232 grains which is .53 oz.

3. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

The heaviest 410 payload I ever got with a HS hull was 242gr of #9 Lawrence Magnum with 15.7gr of 300MP and an Orange PC wad. With any other wad I couldn't come close to that.

CF and HS hulls do not use the same amount of powder. The best load for what you have in the HS is 15.3gr of 296 and 225gr of shot. 14gr of 296 in the CF hull.

4. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

btw, you'll need different wads for the CF hulls than what you have. Try Claybusters, they'll work in both hulls.

5. David McMillen

He is using the CB wad. Read his first post.

6. John Trap

Here are the wads that I have:

410 wads CB5050-410HS.jpg

7. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

It didn't register when I read your post that those were the Claybusters, but the recipes I posted are what you want with those wads.

8. David McMillen

The orange PC wad definitely will give you more room, but 232 grains is max for NSSA rules. Never tried the replacement wad that Downrange offers. Heard to many negatives.

9. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

OP didn't mention anything about shooting registered targets, but I was shooting nothing but 410 in all events for many years due to health reasons and shot the 242gr shot load in everything but the 410 event for a couple of years. It would hit em hard, but frankly I've found that I like just keeping it around 225gr(which is how much is in a factory AA HS) as it throws an excellent pattern and my scores are just as good. Also turns out a nice looking reload.

My go to competition load is:

Winchester HS Hull
    Win209 primer
    15.3gr H110 or 296
    Claybuster wad
    225gr Lawrence Magnum #9

I still have thousands of CF hulls and wads to go with them that I use for practice or smaller shoots.

Nobel Sport 688 primers(cause that's what I was able to find lately reasonable priced, but they are turning out to be very good primers).
    Orange PC or AA41 wad
    14gr of Alliant 300MP
    225gr Eagle #9

10. John Trap

I don't shoot registered targets. They shoot 410 games at Xline on certain Sundays, and I'm trying to work up a practice load, before I embarrass myself with the 3" shells. I've heard guys talk about 5/8 ounce loads, with Lil-gun, and the 2 1/2" hulls, so I figured, it might be worth asking about the components that I have already.

I've loaded some 12 gauge with the Nobel Sport 688 primers, and they do work very well.

11. MDavid

MDavid Mega Poster

Lil Gun will burn up your hulls real fast and not worth it IMO. You'll get the best hull life with the 296 or H110(same as 296).

12. John Trap

I'll keep the Lil-gun on the shelf then. Thank you.

MDavid likes this.
  13. TWs

TWs Member

I am looking to buy some once fired 410 hulls. Preferably Federal or Remington.
    Thx

14. TWs

TWs Member

Through a bit of research and advice, I am looking for 410 AA HS hulls. Does anyone have some for sale?

15. John Trap

PM sent...