410 3 inch loads for squirrels.

Discussion in 'Reloading Bench' started by squirrel_hunter, Oct 19, 2020.

1. squirrel_hunter

squirrel_hunter Active Member

Hi everyone thanks for letting me join. I have been looking everywhere for 3 inch 410 hulls. Where is the best place to get them. I have a mec 600 jr mark 5 in 12ga. So I bought the kit for 410 to load for squirrels. Do i need to pick up a mec 11/16 bar oz? I bought up 24 + boxes federal 410 3 inch squirrel loads. But after the first shot. The new hulls are spitting. I seen some in classifieds but couldn't talk to the guy.

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I can’t help you with the reloading of the 410 but your post brings back some good memories as a kid toting the 410. Shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits with the 410 double barrel. Still have it, old Stevens. Never looked back too much after I started shoot the 12 ga. I have shot with some damn good skeet shooters who shot it with a .410. Pretty unreal. Good luck.

3. squirrel_hunter

squirrel_hunter Active Member

Thanks !
    New squirrel loads I am going to work on..
    Nickel & Copper plated #6.
    410 or 300MP powder..
    3 inch Remington or Winchester hulls..
    Clay or BPI wads.. I have always used 296. 410 and 300 I never used yet.

This one area I hunted had some of the biggest acorn tress around huge in size. It was on a buff by river. I took over 40 + squirrels out of there.

4. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Have you had any luck finding 410 reloading stuff, I use copper 5's in my Model 42 and kill pheasants over points easy to 30 yards. I still have some left from 15 years ago or so and I haven't reloaded in a long time, No recoil, great gun but not for beginners in my opinion.

5. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

If you need some Winchester Compression formed 3" hulls let me know. I could sell 200 at $0.10 each. plus shipping. Just let me know. ( These are once fired and load good)
    Thanks

Pat

6. Probono

Probono Active Member

I use a .22 Mag myself , but have used my 20 ga. Rem. 870 on occasion. The 870 is to long and heavy for her to handle and carry right now( remember she is 10 years old, 4 1/2' 75 lbs.) I also have a light-wieght(plastic stock) single shot 20ga, but it may kick too much for her right now. I'll have to try it with her. She can't hold the .22 steady enough in a field position yet either. I plan on takeing her in Aug.+ Sept. when the leaves are thick and shots are closer , well within 25 yds..
    I think I'll try some 3" #4, #5, and #6 and see which patterns the best at 25yds.

7. Ed Watson

Ed Watson New Member

Have any 3" 410 hulls left

8. Pat Savage

Pat Savage Well-Known Member

Sorry, I sold them all. I don't shoot them much any more. They are fun to shoot.