2022 Ohio Zone - Only 100 singles

Discussion in 'Trapshooting Forum - Americantrapshooter.com' started by lord maker, Jan 3, 2022.

1. lord maker

lord maker Mega Poster Founding Member

Heard guys talking about this at Moulton Saturday. The singles for the Ohio Zone Shoot will only be 100 targets. Personally I think this is great news, and I would not be upset at all at seeing 200 singles go away everywhere.

Below here is Copied from the October Minutes of the OSTA Meeting:

After some discussion, Craig Denlinger moved to change the Saturday Zone Shoot program to 100 singles instead of 200 singles. The hosting gun clubs would be free to extend the shoot with any additional events of their choosing. With a move to second, the motion passed unanimously. Secretary Snively will notify the hosting clubs. If they have a program planned for Saturday of the Zone Shoot, they can inform her and she can put that information on the program. The price for targets will remain at $34.00 a hundred.

jamesbalog likes this.
  2. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I agree with the decision for 100 singles at the state zone for several reasons, but I disagree with doing away with all 200 target singles programs. I believe that both the class championship's at state shoots should be 200 target events. Concentrating on every one of a 200 target singles is one of the most challenging things in our sport. Many will disagree with me , but that is my thoughts on this subject..

Dave Berlet

cl3, Car Wash Ken, alf174 and 7 others like this.
  3. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

One smart move, make another one and go to one club and no more phone shoots. Nothing fair about a two club tournament.

dfwip9x, Dobyns and Roger Coveleskie like this.
  4. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

It will make shoot-offs longer, that 2nd hundred makes a big difference in the final scores.

5. rookieshooter

rookieshooter Mega Poster Forum Leader

I know Dan Orlich would not disagree with you. He once missed the first target out of a 200 bird event at the Grand. He said smashing the next 199 clays was one of
    the most challenging things he's ever done regarding trap shooting.

6. Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones New Member

You need 200 singles to qualify for a grand slam and some shooters only need the 200 singles so why go to a shoot that does not have 200 singles.

7. BRAD DYSINGER

BRAD DYSINGER The Philosophist Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

Very few shooters break a 100 from 27 and a 100 in doubles before a 200. It's been done but far from common. The cost of 200 shells vs 100 at this time it just makes good sense to cut the events. I think it would be smart to have some 50 target events.

The 50 bird non registered shoots are doing fine around me. The little ATA shoots are next to dead.

Dave Berlet and SES like this.
  8. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet State HOF Founding Member Member Trapshooting Hall of Fame Member State Hall of Fame

I am just wondering if any Ohio shooter ever attained their grand slam by getting a 200 at the Ohio zone shoot for their last leg? Years ago at many of the small ATA shoots the program would be 100 singles 50 handicap and 25pair doubles, or maybe 50 singles 100 handicap and 25 pair doubles or even 100 singles 100 handicap and no doubles, even 50 singles 50 handicap 25 pair doubles. It may come to pass that the clubs may need to reduce their programs from 400 or 300 target days to 200 targets to keep the sport of shooting registered targets in more shooters price range. Just my thoughts on this subject, what your thoughts?

Dave Berlet

multifired and BRAD DYSINGER like this.
  9. Dobyns

Dobyns Well-Known Member

I agree.

10. alf174

alf174 Well-Known Member Founding Member

Must be regional, Williams County had some big turnouts for their ATA. Big 50s actually make sense right now.